Offensive bench players

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!

Offensive bench players

Postby polo » Fri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm

I agree that it's best not to draft offensive bench players, in accordance with PEDS.

At this point in the season, I find myself with two guys on the bench - Ian Stewart and Garret Jones. Have the questionable David Ortiz at 1st and a slow-starting Brandon Phillips at 2nd. It's a 10 team roto keeper league.

It would make sense to drop one or the other of these bench players for a guy I could actually use here and there - a Sean Marshall for ratios, or Kris Medlen.

Perhaps it's a lack of creativity, but I don't feel compelled to get into trade discussions about Stewart or Jones. There's enough interesting pitching on the wire, and they don't have that much value yet.

I agonized about dropping Stewart for Marshall last night, but couldn't do it. I want him to turn it around and out-scrap B. Phillips. And while Stewart isn't very tradable, I'm sure he'll be picked up - someone would rather have him than Rickie Weeks.

So, after a while, you can begin to feel kind of trapped by your offensive bench players. Is it okay to break up with these guys?
10 team keeper, 6x6 (including obp, slg, hld, k/9, & qs)

Re: Offensive bench players

Postby thejvp » Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm

for position reasons i'd have a harder time dumping stewart rather than jones.

Postby pkkingster » Fri May 21, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm in the same spot, with Garrett Jones and Scott Podsednik. I save both, just in case I need some late power or speed in the week. I probably shouldnt, but it's tough to "break it off."
10 team standard H2H league, no PPR
QB: Drew Brees
RB: Le'Veon Bell
RB: Terrance West
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Randall Cobb
WR: Alshon Jeffery
TE: Greg Olsen
K: Stephen Gostkowski
Def: NE Patriots

Bench: Pierre Garcon, Ben Tate, Trent Richardson, Pierre Thomas, Golden Tate, Donald Brown, Dennis Pitta, Greg Jennings

Postby halpernj » Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 pm

yea i have four players right now that im undecided on who to drop. i can only fit two in my lineup out of smoak, branyan, yunel escobar, and rajai davis. im hesitant to drop smoak and yunel because i feel like they would go on a streak once i drop them

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”