It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Brett Wallace the next Ryan Braun?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Check out Brett Wallace over the past 3 years, then check out Ryan Braun's numbers his 3 years prior to "the call".

They do look similar and after all the hearing/reading info on Wallace, I am not letting this go until he comes up and proves me wrong.

I had a chance to grab Braun during the magical RK year and waited 8 hours to long.

Will Wallace be the next Braun, I doubt it but I am bored this morning and just happen to be comparing minor league numbers when I stumbled across the similarities.

Matt Ryan
Rashad Jennings
Andre Ellington
Emmanuel Sanders
Josh Gordon
Kenny Stills
TY Hilton
Larry Donnell

Brandon Marshall, Coby Fleener, Alfred Blue, Grice

Post subject: Re: Brett Wallace the next Ryan Braun?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 am 

[quote="rightwingjedi"]
I had a chance to grab Braun during the magical RK year and waited 8 hours to long.

....One of my worst fantasy baseball memories right there. I can still remember telling myself he's a rookie and not worth the waiver. The guy who picked up Braun ended up winning the league. I finished 2nd. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yup, I have finished second and third before and the winner of the league had 2 rooks that he grabbed and held for at least 4 weeks, that is why in my mind, if you are holding Stanton or Wallace, do not let go of them.

I mean I love Chris Carter, Hellickson and a few more prospects but there is not a need for them, Stanton and Wallace on the other hand, IMO, are needed by their MLB club.

I have read conflicting reports that the Jay's want him at 1B, some say 3B, and with the Overbay/Encarnacion saga continuing, I just think he will be up sooner rather than later and given every op to go at it. Just like they are doing with Fred Lewis, Snider, and like they did with Lind.

When gauging these prospects, just look at the teams history on how they treat prospects and the Jay's seem to give tons of ops to young guys, even if they play like crap at first.

Matt Ryan
Rashad Jennings
Andre Ellington
Emmanuel Sanders
Josh Gordon
Kenny Stills
TY Hilton
Larry Donnell

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:24 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I drafted Braun in the last round that year and stashed him. When he hit 8 home runs in spring training, I knew he was going to become a beast. It was worth the wait.

Jose Bautista is hitting for solid power at 3B. Overbay and Randy Ruiz are terrible. Not sure what mgmt will do with Overbay's contract, but there's no reason to play him any longer. Sent Ruiz packing and keep Overbay around as a pinch hitter and occasional sub for one of Lind/Wallace.

I was planning to wait longer on Wallace, but I just scooped him because we're roughly two weeks away, can't risk it. The Cubs brought up Castro out of the blue, well before June 1st. Even if I don't have a place for him to play (Miggy at 1B, Vlad at U), he could carry legit trade value due to his keeper status in my league.

Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

C: W. Ramos
1B: J. Bautista
2B: Kinsler
3B: Arenado
SS: E. Aybar
OF: Dickerson, Holliday, Adam Jones
U: one of Adrian Gonzalez, Longoria, Blackmon or Pedroia
SP: Wainwright, Iwakuma, Sonny Gray, Cobb
RP: Kimbrel, F. Rodney
Bench: Kennedy, Arrieta, Liriano, Volquez, Vogelsong

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:46 pm 

rightwingjedi wrote:
Yup, I have finished second and third before and the winner of the league had 2 rooks that he grabbed and held for at least 4 weeks, that is why in my mind, if you are holding Stanton or Wallace, do not let go of them.

I mean I love Chris Carter, Hellickson and a few more prospects but there is not a need for them, Stanton and Wallace on the other hand, IMO, are needed by their MLB club.

I have read conflicting reports that the Jay's want him at 1B, some say 3B, and with the Overbay/Encarnacion saga continuing, I just think he will be up sooner rather than later and given every op to go at it. Just like they are doing with Fred Lewis, Snider, and like they did with Lind.

When gauging these prospects, just look at the teams history on how they treat prospects and the Jay's seem to give tons of ops to young guys, even if they play like crap at first.

There is no conflicting reports - Wallace is playing 1st base exclusively in AAA. He's not a 3rd baseman. Lewis is playing b/c they don't have any good young OFers to start - it's just a miracle he's playing well. I don't think it's true that the Jays just give young players a lot of playing time...Snider broke camp with the team last year and was sent down the first time he slumped. Lind took a good 3 years to get full time playing time.

2nd-Weeks ($9)
SS-Zobrost ($15)
3rd-Moustakes ($6)
MI-M.Young ($3)
CI-Goldschmidt ($25)
OF-J.Upton ($35)
OF-Cain (FA)
OF-A.Gordon ($15)
OF-Pence ($7)
OF-Victorino (Trade)
Util-Rizzo ($14)
B-Maybin ($2), C.Carter ($1), Dido (FA), Bourjos (FA), Cespedes ($27), Ackley (FA)

SP-Price (trade), Medlen ($13)
RP-Balfour ($2), Frieri ($3)
P- R.Cook ($1), Buchholz (FA), Russell (FA), Mujica (FA)
B-Samardzija ($9), Minor ($6), H.Bailey ($3), Beachy (DL)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Cito isnt being quite as stupid this year in TO - new GM will make sure young talent gets lots of time.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

CarlWeathers wrote:
Cito isnt being quite as stupid this year in TO - new GM will make sure young talent gets lots of time.

From what I have read, I second that.

I would own Wallace right now over every offensive prospect except Jesu....I mean Stanton.

Matt Ryan
Rashad Jennings
Andre Ellington
Emmanuel Sanders
Josh Gordon
Kenny Stills
TY Hilton
Larry Donnell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 pm 

I could see Brett Wallace being the next Braun over Stanton. However, Wallace does hit in one of the better hitters parks in the PCL. Vegas is a boon for the hitters. Either way, his contact skills are better than Stanton's. Wallace has been given the shaft with the three separate teams he has played for in the last year and a half. Wallace doesn't have 35 homer power, but 25 would be more reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:03 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Sorry, Heyward's already on his way towards claiming the Ryan Braun rookie offensive explosion award.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 am 

I too am optimistic of Wallace being called up and taking over 1B as has Ike Davis and Justin Smoak already this year.

What does concern me though is: Will he be another Chris Davis?

He has an alarming 30+% K ratio to go with his new found power stroke in Las Vegas and that is against AAA pitching in the PCL.