It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Aroldis Chapman... who's holding, who's folding?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 am 

I'm still holding him in any of the leagues where I got him for $1 (or as a free agent), but I'm very close to falling on the other side of the fence.

The Gamble: Should he break camp, he could put up some fantastic numbers in April/May and be ridiculously tasty trade bait.

The "Smart" Play: There are safer SPs on the FA list in every league where I'm holding him... for now. Chapman could get sent to the minors in a week and those guys will all be gone.

Justification For My Stance: If he gets sent to the minors and there are no FAs worth replacing him with, he's going to get called up at some point (barring an injury). So my plan to ride him for a month or two, then trade him just gets postponed.

I'd love to read some other people's thoughts on the matter. I know you ALL have thoughts on the matter.

Post subject: Re: Aroldis Chapman... who's holding, who's folding?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:18 am 

Hmm, safer pitchers might not be more valuable though. Right now Chapman has massive name value, and I think I'd try pretty hard to capitalize on that somehow before I dump him for a safe but uninspiring WW replacement.

It also depends on exactly which SPs are on the wire. The better they are the more likely I am to dump Chapman. (hurrah for Captain Obvious :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:52 am 

I'm only in 10-Team, non-keeper leagues. Should have mentioned that up front. I know he's an easy "hold" in a keeper or deeper. But in my 10-team leagues, I'm usually looking at guys like Slowey and/or Cueto as FA pickups.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:16 am 

Hmm, 10 teamer eh? I think I'd just add Slowey and stop worrying about it (I've got a Everest sized mancrush on for Slowey this year though, so that'd help me pull the trigger). Cueto too, but not quite as automatically. In deeper leagues I think it would need to be handled differently, but 10 teamers are so shallow that you don't really need to work the 'name recognition' angle quite so hard. That's my two cents anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:14 pm 

I spoke too soon. Slowey was available in those leagues a week ago, but he seems to have eclipsed his sleeper status. The only league of mine where he's still available is one where I also don't have Chapman... because I'm using my flier on Sanchez. :lol:

So what I'm actually looking at is more along the lines of Cueto/Bedard/Pineiro types. Another thing that keeps me as a "holder" for now is that Cueto (the guy I'd be swapping him for if I were to drop him) is still only owned in 20.1% of all ESPN leagues... and that number continues to drop. I have almost no fear whatsoever that he will be available up until opening day if I need to wait that long to find out if Chapman breaks camp.