It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 2010: The Catching Platoon Spitoon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:17 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey's brief mention of the enormous production that the combo of Buck and Olivo made at catcher this season for KC (31 homers and 101 RBIs), got me thinking of other possibilities for a one-team catching platoon. The purpose here would be to increase the overall value of the fantasy position rather than keeping that slot empty for a catcher's day off. I'm thinking that this would finally give me an excuse to own one of my favorite ex-Iowa Cubs, Koyie Hill and it really wouldn't go against the Ron Popeil theory of fantasy catchers, because you're sticking with the Platoon Spitoon every game as long as your two catchers play on the same team. You can also get most of these combos on the cheap.

I think that next season, in one catcher leagues, I'm going to platoon Buck/Olivo, Napoli/Mathis, Iannetta/Torrealba or Soto/Koyie Hill in some leagues. Soto/Hill produced a 53/13/71/.226, but that should improve with a healthy Soto. Napoli/Mathis went 86/25/84/.246/5 and Iannetta/Torrealba hit 68/18/84/.255

Are there any other healthy platoon situations out there?

Posey/Molina?
Doumit/Jaramillo?
Shoppach/Marson?

Also, this is up for general discussion. What say you Razzball world? Is this too much work?

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN
Stanton, Giancarlo(OF) MIA

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Liriano, Francisco(SP) PIT
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

Post subject: Re: 2010: The Catching Platoon Spitoon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 am 

I don't think it's too much work, but say you owned Napoli and Mathis. Would Mathis's 26/5/28/.211/2 be worth holding an open spot for? What happens when you have an injury outfielder and you need to fill that in for a week since he's not going to the DL? Isn't the first guy you drop your backup catcher?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

If your starting OF gets hurt, there's always the DL, right?

I think for this strategy to work, you'd have to play it out for the entire season and stay committed to it. Also, you'd have to play in a fairly deep league I suppose.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm 

I'm saying what if someone gets hurt and they're not DL'd. I doubt you'd wanna watch some other team grab all of the Dread Pirates and Garrett Joneses off waivers while you're holding onto a 2nd catcher.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I think this is just as much about maximizing the amount of production that you can get out of any position.

If you know any general position player on your team who you normally start is going to be benched for a weekend series, you'll go ahead and play a replacement outfielder sitting on your bench, right? You don't want to miss out on a couple days of production here and there. I guess this theory could be used in drafting or picking up players with multiple eligibility for the purpose of sliding them in a vacant slot for a day or two.

And no, I wouldn't want to keep Jaramillo if Garret Jones is on the wire, but I would hope that there's a middle reliever out there that I can drop instead.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:39 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

One more thing... this idea is just as fresh as keeping a few middle relievers on hand in order to offset mediocre numbers from a starting pitcher.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:48 pm 

I hear ya, my concern is you're going to be hogtied by a 2nd catcher when you might want/need to grab a different player.