It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeping One Eye Open…for Six Months!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Started a retrospective analyzing the Top-12 RCL finishers to see if I could learn anything from those ‘lucky’ managers. Here’s a sliver:

Did you know that if you had your 13 hitter slots each playing a full 162 games, the ‘full-time’ number of games played is: 2106
Players get injured. Coaches bench guys. Do you always get that last minute replacement in for the day? Hmmm…what’s your best estimate of the number of games played for hitters for the middle twelve managers (of the 768 RCL managers)?
too slow…1932 (148 GP per each of 13 slots)
Managers #50-62: 2003
TOP-12: 2080
Recognize a pattern?
So, top-12 an inch from perfection—right?
Would it interest you to know that 4 of those top-12, actually EXCEEDED our max? Oh yeah, there are those days that players have off during the season. The very elite managers stream in hitters on those days as well.
The manager with the most games played had 2158 hitter games played. He finished #2 overall in the RCL standings. Tip of the cap to Retro Vertigo! (And, yes, #1 Josh Hamilton’s Fake Stache had 2084.)
What can I learn? Let’s see, my total was 1973. No wonder I finished mid-pack in hitting cats (). The guy that led my league had 185 more hitter games!--than I managed into the batters’ box.
Hmmm, a look back. I was determined to prove the worth of streaming pitchers. I was driven to fill every pitching slot, every day. I led all of RCL with 1680 IP. Guess that didn’t leave enough room for hitting.
Wait, what did that Retro-Guy have left over for pitching? 1592 IP. That warranted a #9 overall rank in IP. This, in addition to ranking #2 in hitting. That’s out of 768 teams! How did he freakin’ do that?
Let’s just call him the #1, overall, For-The-Love-Of-The-Game, Master Manipulator (go ahead, fill in your own moniker). The guy doesn’t sleep.
For my part, the stats clearly tell me that overall standing is directly related to time ‘on-the-field’ (getting production from every available slot every day). My pre-planning for 2014 has me scheming how to improve dramatically. Of course, planning only takes one so far. The real work is in staying awake for 6 months!
(check out your GP by accessing your team’s ‘Active Stats’ via your ESPN team page. scroll to the bottom to find totals.)

Post subject: Re: Keeping One Eye Open…for Six Months!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm 

Interesting stuff, Fred!

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 am 

Fred this is on point. I've been on the same topic. I had 2119 games played this year. I used 183 players and 118 pitchers. Stream stream stream.

I'm going to run some numbers when I'm freed up. My games played by regulars versus semi-regs versus streamers. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:44 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Steve, I followed a similar thought process. Broke down active stats by hitters with 50+GP, 10-49, and 1-9. It's that last category that seems the typical streaming to me. I then weighted for 158 GP, a full-time player, just to evaluate managers on an even playing field. Rudy had the best in my small sample size which tells me his hitter-tron is something to rely upon.

Rudy, 103 different hitters streamed, 339 GP. Weighted for 158 GP:

73/16/59/9/.261

Mine, 177 different hitters streamed, 508 GP:

65/11/54/11/.237

The only cat I surpassed him in, barely, was SB, a cat I chased for about a month.

Am interested to see your stats.

(BTW: Grey, 59 hitters, 174 GP, 158 GP equiv: 56/13/48/12/.223)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:10 am 

I didn't need to stream... A better draft won...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey, tip-of-the-cap! Now, if you would just share your secrets...ha!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 pm 

We were pretty comparable, Fred.

My 158 game streamer average was .230/63/13/54/8 in 434 games

But I'm nor sure looking at a weighted average tells the whole story. The story of streaming is really around boosting counting stats at the expense of average. Rudy may have had a higher 158 run rate but he had many fewer games meaning he presumably didn't play as many scrubs so the averages were higher but he also didn't add as many counters his totals.

What I do find interesting is how close our numbers were. It's a small sample size, but for the purpose of strategic planning, I think I will use something like those numbers as an assumption for streamer performance. When I get a chance I'll run my pitcher numbers and put them in the streaming so far thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Wow! We were extremely close. Yes, small sample size. Wouldn't hang my hat on too much.

Grey had even fewer streamed, so, following your theory, he should have had even a better rate per 158 GP...?

I am still leaning that Rudy really relied on hitter-tron more than the rest of us and that it produced better results for him.

Appreciate you doing the research and weighing in. I KNOW you are an expert fantasy player and I value your thoughts!