It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: League Rant: Terrible 1-sided trades
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:43 am 

Ok, its starting to drive me mad, look at some of these trades...

David Price - Sergio Romo
Cole Hamels - Greg Holland
Adrian Beltre - Mariano Rivera
Jon Lester - BJ Upton

Argh, driving me nuts. Why dont I get silly offers like that?

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Evan Longoria
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF1 - Carlos Gomez
OF2 - Alex Gordon
OF3 - Jay Bruce
UTIL - Kennys Vargas
UTIL - Kolten Wong
BN - Jorge Soler

SP - Kershaw / Kluber / Wood / Sanchez / Wilson / Paxton / Fiers
RP - Melancon / Mejia / Petricka / Casilla / Feliz
DL - Cashner

Post subject: Re: League Rant: Terrible 1-sided trades
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 am 

Ya, those trades are bad. Had that happen to me in my other league. Went on a rant on my league's board about how to get proper value in trade, looked like an asshole, and then promptly got Beltre for Sabathia/Lawrie/Franklin. Well worth it. A little public calling-out can shake people up sometimes and make them think.

Also, those trades don't usually get proposed to you; you have to submit the offer. So send some terrible deals out already!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 am 

karmakgb wrote:
Also, those trades don't usually get proposed to you; you have to submit the offer. So send some terrible deals out already!

True, but I try not to be that guy. We already have one of those. Sends these crazy 5 for 3 deals where he wants 3 of my Top 5 players for 5 of his average, bottom of the draft guys.

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Evan Longoria
SS - Elvis Andrus
OF1 - Carlos Gomez
OF2 - Alex Gordon
OF3 - Jay Bruce
UTIL - Kennys Vargas
UTIL - Kolten Wong
BN - Jorge Soler

SP - Kershaw / Kluber / Wood / Sanchez / Wilson / Paxton / Fiers
RP - Melancon / Mejia / Petricka / Casilla / Feliz
DL - Cashner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:18 pm 

Some of those might look bad now but could look genius at the end of the year if the struggling guy doesn't figure things out. Certainly Price and Hamels should be worth far more than just a closer but sadly neither of them of them have put up numbers worth what they were traded for thus far. Could at least be somewhat explainable if you have two owners who feel that they won't right the ship and want to get something for them before the bottom falls out of their value. I wouldn't do it but you can at least see some sort of an explanation. Beltre for Rivera had to be a guy desperate for saves but he obviously gave up way, way too much to get the top closer. The last one is a toughie in that it features one guy that could be seen as a sell high after two years of sucking ass being traded for a guy that was supposed to be a 20-40 guy but has struggled. It certainly looks lopsided now because of their current numbers but it can at least be explained with a sell high for a buy low trade mentality.

I'd be happy just to be able to complete a trade in either of my leagues. In my main league I've been in since 09 I find most of my trade targets are highly overvalued by their owners, while in my RCL I send offers and they just get ignored until they expire.

P's Scherzer, Samardzija, Ogando, Nathan, Perez, Hanrahan, Betancourt, Fujikawa (DL), Streamer, Streamer

12-Tm Mixed league(OBP): Three Out Rally
C-Perez, 1B Votto, 2B Rutledge, SS Castro, 3B Longoria, MI (rotating door), CI I. Davis, OF Jennings, OF Choo, OF Aioki, OF Morse, OF Cruz, UT Moss, UT Cain, BN Young Jr., BN Bonifacio, BN Schierholtz, BN J. Francisco
P's- Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Ryu, Estrada, Lincecum, Quintana, Chapman, Holland, Wilhelmsen, League, Francisco (DL)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 am 

mindspin311 wrote:
Ok, its starting to drive me mad, look at some of these trades...

David Price - Sergio Romo
Cole Hamels - Greg Holland
Adrian Beltre - Mariano Rivera
Jon Lester - BJ Upton

Argh, driving me nuts. Why dont I get silly offers like that?

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I don't see a single trade worth vetoing. Some steals, sure.
It's about needs.
The worst deal there is Beltre for MoRivera. Did the teams giving up Price, Hamels, and Beltre needs saves? The team giving up Lester for Upton is trying to buy Upton low( i think). Though, it was a bad attempt because he paid near draft day value. But he tried. Price and Hamels may not return to 2012 form this year.