It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Houston Closing Situation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 am 

I own Jose Veras in two AL-only leagues. I know, what was I thinking? Anyway, looking for a handcuff for him in case he implodes, although that's looking less likely after the April 19th save.

Been reading and hearing Wesley Wright is the next guy in line, but his usage suggests otherwise (keeps being used for multiple innings in the sixth, seventh innings). Plus he is a lefty, and for some reason managers have an aversion to left-handed closers.

In the Astros first save of the season, Wright was used in the seventh and Hector Ambriz was used in the eighth, which suggests to me he might be the next guy in line.

Any one have any thoughts, insight, comments, jokes on this situation other than to just trade Veras and rid myself of this headache?

Post subject: Re: Houston Closing Situation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Even in AL-only leagues the only reason Veras is worth owning is that he has the closer job. Is owning Veras more valuable for you than owning a set-up guy from another team? I should think so...but it might be close...one has to at least think about it.

You can upgrade at another position and throw Veras in the deal, this would open up a roster spot for you to prospect.

I'm assuming that guys like Madson and Valverde are owned in your league. They should be.

I wouldn't waste a roster sport on handcuffing the Astros' closer situation. I would prefer to use that spot to pick up a potential breakout hitter or pitcher.

Oswaldo Arcia anyone? http://razzball.com/chooch-ooh/

What RPs are on your wire?

C - empty (will pick up a hot catcher when ready)
1B - E. Hosmer
2B - J. Kipnis
SS - T. Tulowitzki
3B - A. Beltre
OF - M. Trout, A. McCutchen, J. Upton
UTIL - G. Stanton, A. Rizzo, B. Harper, empty slot

PITCHERS: SP - S. Strasburg, A. Wainwright, G. Gonzalez, H. Iwakuma, S. Miller, K. Medlen, H. Ryu, M. Garza, A. Cobb, H. Bailey, R. Porcello, M. Estrada, W. Peralta, S. Gray, E. Ramirez
RP - A. Chapman, A. Reed, J. Benoit
N/A slot: M. Pineda. DL - C. Maybin, M. Moore