It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Looking for live auction prep tips from the pros
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm 

This site is the Mecca of fantasy baseball.

I’ve been a fantasy geek since Al Gore invented the net. I’ve never done however, an auction draft. I’ve always been the traditional snake draft guy in hoops, hockey, baseball and football. A friend invited me to join his long-standing auction league. A rare opening came up for the 14 man ESPN live auction draft. The settings are 5x5 roto, $260 budget. I've done about 10 ESPN mock auctions, but folks usually don't do those too serious, you just pick up a few strats and player tips. Here is what I am looking for, What do the hard core guys do for prep? I'm not talking about the studying and picking the mind of Mr. Grey and others on here, I'm talking about strat prep and cheat sheet mark ups. I have an adjustable strat going in in terms of spending on positions, but other players may force me to adjust.

Do you?
Mark up sheets with the low candidates at positions?
Color code anything for categories per position?
Only nominate guys you are not interested in to remove $$ from the room? If you do it, don't others as well and it becomes redundant?

Catcher (C) 2 No Limit
First Base (1B) 1 No Limit
Second Base (2B) 1 No Limit
Third Base (3B) 1 No Limit
Shortstop (SS) 1 No Limit
Middle Infielder (2B/SS) 1 N/A
Corner Infielder (1B/3B) 1 N/A
Left Field (LF) 0 No Limit
Center Field (CF) 0 No Limit
Right Field (RF) 0 No Limit
Outfield (OF) 5 N/A
Designated Hitter (DH) 0 No Limit
Utility (UTIL) 1 N/A
Pitcher (P) 9 N/A
Starting Pitcher (SP) 0 No Limit
Relief Pitcher (RP) 0 No Limit
Bench (BE) 4

Thanks for any input. Tip for you, Franklin Gutiérrez has looked great the spring for Seattle. Get him for a buck. He may bat lead-off.

Post subject: Re: Looking for live auction prep tips from the pros
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm 

SeattleMack wrote:
This site is the Mecca of fantasy baseball.

I’ve been a fantasy geek since Al Gore invented the net. I’ve never done however, an auction draft. I’ve always been the traditional snake draft guy in hoops, hockey, baseball and football. A friend invited me to join his long-standing auction league. A rare opening came up for the 14 man ESPN live auction draft. The settings are 5x5 roto, $260 budget. I've done about 10 ESPN mock auctions, but folks usually don't do those too serious, you just pick up a few strats and player tips. Here is what I am looking for, What do the hard core guys do for prep? I'm not talking about the studying and picking the mind of Mr. Grey and others on here, I'm talking about strat prep and cheat sheet mark ups. I have an adjustable strat going in in terms of spending on positions, but other players may force me to adjust.

Do you?
Mark up sheets with the low candidates at positions?
Color code anything for categories per position?
Only nominate guys you are not interested in to remove $$ from the room? If you do it, don't others as well and it becomes redundant?

Catcher (C) 2 No Limit
First Base (1B) 1 No Limit
Second Base (2B) 1 No Limit
Third Base (3B) 1 No Limit
Shortstop (SS) 1 No Limit
Middle Infielder (2B/SS) 1 N/A
Corner Infielder (1B/3B) 1 N/A
Left Field (LF) 0 No Limit
Center Field (CF) 0 No Limit
Right Field (RF) 0 No Limit
Outfield (OF) 5 N/A
Designated Hitter (DH) 0 No Limit
Utility (UTIL) 1 N/A
Pitcher (P) 9 N/A
Starting Pitcher (SP) 0 No Limit
Relief Pitcher (RP) 0 No Limit
Bench (BE) 4

Thanks for any input. Tip for you, Franklin Gutiérrez has looked great the spring for Seattle. Get him for a buck. He may bat lead-off.

The Big FraGu? Really? Wow, that's a name you don't hear often for sleepers... Nice... For a 14-team auction, I'd use:

http://razzball.com/playerrater-preseason-espnmlb15

And I'd use 180/80 column... Here's auction strategy:

http://razzball.com/fantasy-baseball-au ... around-me/

I don't nominate only guys I'd want as that strategy post says... If I don't want Posey, I'd nominate him for $10 and watch others bid him up...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: Looking for live auction prep tips from the pros
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm 

TY Grey, I really enjoy reading your insight.