It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Old School AL Only Auction Dynasty League Needs New Owners
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

These leagues go back to the beginning of Fantasy Baseball - 1987 or so. Check out the info on the link. I've included the pitch page for your info. The league I'm interested in is the Bell AL league in which I participate, but if any of the other teams tickle your fancy, please go for it. There are three teams available in my league. These leagues have five hour auctions, and are very compelling. They are the only ones I compete in except Razzball leagues. They normally cost $20, but are free the first year. Because once you play, you are totally hooked. The "freeze" lists are due on March 18. I'm not sure what happens if we don't fill them by then. I'm sorry but I don't know how to hyper-link. Please cut and paste the line below if you're interested. At any rate, I've cut and pasted the pitch.

http://baseball.mocksports.com/

Welcome to Mocksports Fantasy Baseball!

The game that has developed into Mocksports started on the Sports Forum on Compuserve in 1987. Times have changed (Mark Eichhorn was the first player nominated), rules have been tweaked, but the leagues carry on.

Many of our owners have been around since those Sports Forum days, but we also pride ourselves on providing a warm and friendly environment for new owners who find their way to our game!

One important change for the 2013 season will be an increase to a $20 charge per team, in order to cover the costs of the statistics / scoring website. Any extra is put towards marketing the leagues next season (and we seem to need a lot more marketting!). As always, new owners will be able to pick up a team for FREE!!

The Mocksports Fantasy Baseball game is divided into three parts: Between Seasons, Preseason, In-Season.

Between seasons, trading can be done without regard to salary caps or roster limits. Unbalanced trades may be reversed if a team is not renewed for the next season, but other than that it's a free-for-all. Often the owners in our leagues will hold informal winter meetings in the conference rooms, a chance to get together and talk about the season and do some deals!

The Preseason starts with Renewals. When renewals start, a team cannot make a trade until it has been renewed. Once renewed, a team can continue to deal until the Frozen Roster is submitted. By the Freeze Deadline, a team must submit a list of between seven and 15 players to carry into the auction. The team can also keep "Toppers" on up to five more players, which gives that team the last bid for the first few rounds.

Expansion Teams are newly created teams to help round-out a league. They enter the auction with no freeze list, and the full amount of money available to be used at auction.

The next step in the Preseason is the Auction. Auctions are held in real-time, in one of the IRC Java conference rooms, and are moderated by a League Administrator (LA).

There are at least eight rounds of "normal" auctioning. The teams are arranged in reverse-order of the previous season's standings, with expansion teams taking up the first slots. A player is nominated, and there is one round of bidding. Then the owner who made the nomination gets a bid. If an owner has Toppers on a player, he gets the final bid. The player is then awarded to the highest bidder.

After the normal rounds, the auction enters into Speed rounds. The LA determines at what salary level the rounds begin - usually at a level in which three owners can select players. Then, any owner that pick a player at that salary level can make a pick or pass, remaining in the auction order. After the round is completed, the salary level drops by a dollar, and the process continues. Once the $1 level is reached, they teams with roster spots remaining continue to select, in order, until the rosters are filled.

Since our owners are normally very well prepared, auctions typically take four hours, sometimes five... If you're interested in an example of one of our auctions, you can take a look at the Bob AL auction from year's past.

Once the auction is completed, teams have 24 hours to post a transaction on the board to reserve any players that are in the minors or on the DL, and replace them with active major leaguers who were not selected during the auction. The stats for the replacements (as well as the rest of the roster) accumulate retroactive (if necessary) from the start of the MLB season.

During the season, teams are free to make trades, to add/reserve players, or to add/drop players. Teams must keep their rosters balanced according to position, and under the in-season salary cap. The cap loosens as the year progresses, to open up those late-season deals. Each team is limited to three add/drops per week until the week of the All-Star Game, when the limit becomes two.

In September, teams can move players between their active and reserve list at will, to try to squeeze out as many stats as they can to get that championship!

Physically, Mocksports has two areas for owners to focus on. The link under each league will take you to the message board for that league. The message boards are the heart of Mocksports. All transactions must be posted on the league's board. This is also the primary avenue of owner interaction. Teams post their wants and needs, and plenty of good natured trash talk. Owners can also arrange to rendezvous in one of the conference rooms, which are available year-round. The second area of interest is the Statistics website. We plan on using OnRoto for our numbers.

If you want to join an anonymous, disposable league, this probably isn't the place for you. However, if you want to develop teams over time, help form the character of a league, and form relationships with your fellow owners, Mocksports Fantasy Baseball is what you're looking for. Just send check out the schedule and the available teams in the right hand column, and send an e-mail to mocksports@gmail.com to get started!