It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Slow Draft, Mixed 5x5 with OBP musings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 am 

Slow draft, 12 team 5x5 mixed league with OBP is finishing up the 4th round. Took Votto with the 7th then nabbed Longoria on the way back before things started to go a bit wonky on me. It was looking like Adam Jones would fall to me in the 3rd but he and my backup plan of Kinsler both got nabbed right in front of me. Didn't care for my OF options as a pick right at that spot and there was a fairly deep tier of them that I felt would be left to pick what was left from in the 4th. Instead about 5 or 6 OF's got taken right before me at the 3-4 turn leaving me with the choices of Choo, B.J. Upton, and Jennings. Ended up grabbing Jennings for the greater upside since people in this league tend to reach more for youth and upside and let someone like Choo fall to me in the 5th. Was tempted in the 3rd to nab Strasburg as at that pick only Verlander and Kershaw had gone but there are a ton of good pitchers left that I'd be happy to have as my 1st one (Greinke, Gio, Cain, Price, Hamels, Felix, Bumgarner, Lee, Wainright, Scherzer, Zimmerman, etc.) so I don't feel rushed. Do have a feeling now that Price and Strasburg went late in the 3rd that there will be a big run at some time soon which should hopefully help me get Choo. Pitching definitely going slower this year than the last couple of years in this league. No matter whom I get for my first SP it's bound to be an improvement on what Lester and Latos did to my ratios in the first half of last year. Still probably not bright to pass on an OF earlier given we start 5 but it does seem like there are always more guys coming out of nowhere at OF than any other position each year since there are so many more starters per team.

P's Scherzer, Samardzija, Ogando, Nathan, Perez, Hanrahan, Betancourt, Fujikawa (DL), Streamer, Streamer

12-Tm Mixed league(OBP): Three Out Rally
C-Perez, 1B Votto, 2B Rutledge, SS Castro, 3B Longoria, MI (rotating door), CI I. Davis, OF Jennings, OF Choo, OF Aioki, OF Morse, OF Cruz, UT Moss, UT Cain, BN Young Jr., BN Bonifacio, BN Schierholtz, BN J. Francisco
P's- Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Ryu, Estrada, Lincecum, Quintana, Chapman, Holland, Wilhelmsen, League, Francisco (DL)

Post subject: Re: Slow Draft, Mixed 5x5 with OBP musings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah Choo is a good choice especially in an OBP. Votto is a good pick as well.

So you have Votto (1), Longoria(2), Jennings(3) and who was your 4th pick? Choo will be (5)

C Salvador Pérez
1B Paul Goldschmidt (K)
2B Howie Kendrick
3B Miguel Cabrera (K)
SS Jean Segura (K)
CI Anthony Rizzo (K)
MI Alcides Escobar
OF Starling Marte (K), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Marcell Ozuna
Util Kolten Wong
BN Javier Baez Jon Singleton, Brad Miller, Osvaldo Arcia
DL Nolan Arenado
SP Madison Bumgarner, Alex Cobb, Sonny Gray, Dallas Keuchol, Eric Butler Andrew Heaney, Marcus Stroman
RP Jenrry Mejia
DL Taijuan Walker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am 

Iron Tusk wrote:
Yeah Choo is a good choice especially in an OBP. Votto is a good pick as well.

So you have Votto (1), Longoria(2), Jennings(3) and who was your 4th pick? Choo will be (5)

Took Starlin Castro 3rd and Jennings was the 4th. Both were a bit of a reach but the guys I had ahead of them were either SP's, positions I had filled, or were guys I felt I would slide. Really hope there is a mini pitching run allowing him to slip to me. Several SP's are sitting right there in most rankings as well as a few other position players that should go soon like Butler, Phillips, Sandoval.

P's Scherzer, Samardzija, Ogando, Nathan, Perez, Hanrahan, Betancourt, Fujikawa (DL), Streamer, Streamer

C-Perez, 1B Votto, 2B Rutledge, SS Castro, 3B Longoria, MI (rotating door), CI I. Davis, OF Jennings, OF Choo, OF Aioki, OF Morse, OF Cruz, UT Moss, UT Cain, BN Young Jr., BN Bonifacio, BN Schierholtz, BN J. Francisco
P's- Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Ryu, Estrada, Lincecum, Quintana, Chapman, Holland, Wilhelmsen, League, Francisco (DL)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Choo would be a nice fit. You have a nice combo of power and speed. If you can grad a Ike Davis type later on that would be a nice power bat for a CI or util slot.

C Salvador Pérez
1B Paul Goldschmidt (K)
2B Howie Kendrick
3B Miguel Cabrera (K)
SS Jean Segura (K)
CI Anthony Rizzo (K)
MI Alcides Escobar
OF Starling Marte (K), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Marcell Ozuna
Util Kolten Wong
BN Javier Baez Jon Singleton, Brad Miller, Osvaldo Arcia
DL Nolan Arenado
SP Madison Bumgarner, Alex Cobb, Sonny Gray, Dallas Keuchol, Eric Butler Andrew Heaney, Marcus Stroman
RP Jenrry Mejia
DL Taijuan Walker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:58 pm 

He'd be the ideal fit there as he'd give a bit of power and speed and should score a ton of runs, which would add nicely to the guys I've got already, who should score a lot of runs. If he's gone I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

Draft got bogged down by a guy for a while but I did end up getting Choo, which makes me happy. May actually look towards a pitcher as Greinke is hanging around and one of Bumgarner, Gio, Wainright, or Scherzer should be available for sure at the next pick. Of the three guys between where we are at and my pick only one of them seems likely to take Zack since one already has 2 P and another has only one but needs a 3B with the Kung Fu Panda sitting there. If I waited here I possibly miss this tier as a couple of guys at the turn following me don't have any P's and only one between me and the turn has more than one. If I get a SP there I will wait and see who's there at the next pick and possibly go SP again if one of this tier is still hanging on or take the best available bat if none of these guys are still there. It does look like someone like Davis or another OF would be available there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 am 

Votto
Longoria
Castro
Jennings
Choo
Bumgarner
Ike Davis
Nelson Cruz
J. Zimmerman
A. Chapman
Norichika Aoki
Greg Holland
Tom Wilhelmsen
Salvador Perez
Josh Rutledge
Michael Morse
Brandon League
Tim Lincecum

I'll have to be sure to pick up another 2B for until Rutledge gains eligibility but other than that I'm feeling really good thus far. Bonifacio is still out there and may be a solid choice at this time and could fill in at either MI or OF once he gets 2B eligibility and give me some cheap steals. Couple of closers or closer prospects still available but those are disappearing fast. Could still get Veras, Benoit, Madson for when he's healed, Pestano for the start of the season, or a couple of others with slightly less chance. Will have to see who's there in about 8 picks.