Post subject: Punt saves?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm 

Hi everyone.

Our league is set up as follows:

12 teams H2H
C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3 OF,2 Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 6 Bench
Batting cats: R,2B,3B,HR,RBI,OBP,TB,SB
Pitching cats: ERA,WHIP,W,SV,K,CG,SHO,QS

I guess my thinking is that in our league there are 3 additional pitching categories that closers don't contribute towards, so basically a closer is going to do well in saves, marginal in ERA/WHIP, and tank everything else. On the other hand, I don't really have anything to use those additional roster spots towards... I suppose I could just load up on a ton of pitchers in that 13-18 round range when closers usually go, and perhaps pick up some good MR for the RP slots after the draft. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Punt saves?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm 

That's an interesting idea. My league counts SV and HLD, but not QS SHo, or CG, so this may not actually apply to your situation.

Regardless, I decided to totally ignore closers and drafted five middle relievers for holds. Here's how it worked out: I finished second in HLDs by 4, but only because some of my relievers were converted into closers. I finished with 62 SVs, which was a sad little number but amazingly not the worst in my league. Having all those relievers in general saved my ERA and WHIP as well.

I know there is a school of thought that says: "Never punt a category!" but to be honest with you, I think it can really work, especially in H2H leagues. You just have to do your homework, know exactly who you want to draft and make sure you get those guys, even if it means reaching a round or two to catch people off balance in the draft. I finished last season in second place out of 12 teams with my punt saves strategy and even though I totally ignored them, I still wound up with three closers on my team. That tells me it's silly to prioritize those guys at the expense of bats and starting pitchers in those middle rounds.

Post subject: Re: Punt saves?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 pm 

Have one or two on your roster. CG and SHO are going to be 0-0 or 1-1

ties quite often. Better to have a couple closers than not. Don't go nuts drafting closers. Draft one and play the waiver wire for another.