Slow Draft IP: Must Draft 1 Player from all 30 Teams

News, Injuries, Rosters - All baseball all the time!
Curtis.E.Bear

Slow Draft IP: Must Draft 1 Player from all 30 Teams

Postby Curtis.E.Bear » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Thought this was a really interesting format to post about, since I'm sure I'll meet many crossroads. 8 team, ESPN points league. 2 C, 1B, 2b, 3b, SS, MI, CI, LF, CF, RF, 2 OF, 1 util, 10 P, 6 bench spots.

Draft so far:
1: Trout
2: Cabrera
3: Cano
4: Braun
5: Dread Pirate
6: Pujols (me)
7: Fielder
8: Cargo

9: Verlander
10: Votto
11: Bautista (me)
12: Tulo
13: Kemp
14: Kershaw
15: Felix

The 11th pick was between JB and Giancarlo. Almost every projection I can find plugged into ESPN points scoring has Bautista as a prohibitive favorite (+80 points Razzball, +70 ZIPS, +160 ESPN rankings), which is largely due to his better K and BB rates. The issue was in the "30 team rule". Toronto's average ADP of their top 10 players ranks 2nd, whereas Miami's is 29th. If I take Giancarlo, I can still grab say Jose Reyes in round 3 or even a solid value like Brendan Morrow many rounds from now. By taking Bautista, I'm resigned to owning Justin Ruggiano or Jacob Turner. Ultimately, I thought Bautista was just a superior player in this scoring (I had him 9th coming in) and I couldn't pass on him, but I may be under-compensating for the league rules.

Thoughts on that pick?

Mauddib

Re: Slow Draft IP: Must Draft 1 Player from all 30 Teams

Postby Mauddib » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:39 pm

No problems with your thought process. I think you need to be drafting the best players available at this point. As you get further in the draft, I would start worrying about team depth.

As for Bautista, my only concern is his wrist injury.

Curtis.E.Bear

Re: Slow Draft IP: Must Draft 1 Player from all 30 Teams

Postby Curtis.E.Bear » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Mauddib wrote:No problems with your thought process. I think you need to be drafting the best players available at this point. As you get further in the draft, I would start worrying about team depth.

As for Bautista, my only concern is his wrist injury.

Agreed although the points system greatly benefits a player of Bautista's skill set. He should be at least a top 10 player if he stays healthy.

So there was a run of pitchers early in round 3. I grabbed Justin Upton with the 22nd pick. Also in play were Pedoria, Wright, Beltre, A-Gon, Holliday, and Adam Jones. I think I got the BPA, but again I exhausted one of the top teams early. Toronto was ranked 2nd, Atlanta was 3rd. Upton also gets a slight bump since he'll have dual corner OF eligibility after 10 games.

After Upton, the picks went Wright, Hamels, Pedroia, and Holliday. I called an audible and took Ian Kinsler at 4.27. Kinsler isn't anything too special in this format, but he still has top 20 upside. I wanted Beltre more, but figured 3B would be way easier to fill than 2B, which was about to fall off a cliff in terms of depth. A-Gon was #1 on my want list, but passed since there will be a lot of opportunities to grab another 1B in the middle rounds from guys like Davis, Morse, Hosmer, AuShizz, etc.

So that gives me:
1B Albert Pujols
RF Jose Bautista
RF(LF) Justin Upton
2B Ian Kinsler

Am tentatively planning to grab a pitcher when it comes back to me. Bumgarner and Sabathia top my wish list.

Return to “Baseball - General Player Discussion”