It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Streaming: WHY it WORKS!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am 

I should emphasize that this strategy is specific to RCL or RCL like leagues because of the games started cap. The advantage is that you end up with the same number of games started regardless but maxing your relievers started drives up your counters and drives down your rates.

The 7.2 thing is a little confusing. Basically it says even though you carry 9 relievers you cannot use all 9 on the average day because you need one or sometimes two of those slots for your starters. Also you sometimes can't carry 9 because you need the extra roster spot for something else temporarily. But after you hit your GS limit you are playing 9 everyday, so that brings the total back up from say August through the season end depending on how early and often you've streamed. I recommend hitting your GS limit before Sept. if possible.

The reason I wanted that multipier is I wanted a good sense of just exactly how many wins, Ks and innings I could reasonably expect from my relievers so I could put that together with my expected streamer totals and that gave me some information about how good I needed that starters that I would roster full time to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

re that 3rd starter: if you are comfy with your hitters, sure, go for another solid pitcher earlier rather than later. if the call is between a hitter you really like and the sp, go hitter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 am 

This is a great topic and it's something to consider for this season. I am curious how it is different if your league doesn't have an IP or GS cap?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm 

Without a games started or innings cap, your objective in streaming is to get as many innings as you possibly can. There's much less advantage in having middle relievers. In a league with no innings cap where it's a shallow league, you'll want to delay drafting starters even longer as you'll find solid streaming options. In a deep league, you'll need some quality frontline starters so that you have a solid foundation to compensate for what will be a lower quality pool of stream options.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 am 

Questions...Questions.....Questions.

I have lots of questions.

I can see how it will work in RCL type leagues with the limitations being on the number of games started. However, I am playing in two H2H leagues (Yahoo based) this year and want to know how I could adapt the strategy and try and use it in H2H leagues. Is it possible? It's the second year I have been playing in both and I have been streaming to some extent in both last year.

The first is a very shallow league (6 teams, we're UK based and friends that's why it's so small) it's been easy to adapt it.
We're only allowed 4 moves per week. So each week I pick up 4 SP's who will pitch twice that week. It seems to work pretty well.

The second is a H2H league and the settings are going to make streaming difficult to apply. The league is 7x7 (W,SV,HLDS,WHIP,ERA,K and QS). I've had a hard core of a pitching staff but have left a spot or two to rotate pitchers in and out. I have been using MR's when there isn't an SP that I want on my roster. It's helped with K'sand the ratios. There are no transaction limits.

Any advice?

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

see if there's anything in this thread that helps:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31394

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm 

First off, this is one of the most fascinating threads that I've read on these forums in all my years visiting. Great job to all.

One question I had was, how would one approach trades? It appears to me that if you drafted according to this plan you would be pretty stuck with what you have. Assuming you draft in a manner where you are planning to stream all year, you'll have a stacked offense and your closers would be beastly too. And you wouldn't really want SP help since you'll be streaming them all year.

This brings up injuries, and if you were to trade away offensive guys or closers to make up for your injuries, wouldn't you then be leaving yourself exposed by depleting the two cogs that allow this finely tuned machine to work properly in the first place? (hitting and closers)

I'm not being critical of this strategy at all, in fact, I was forced to use it towards the end of last season but it never occurred to me to purposely run a team like this. I think I want to try it, but I want to work through all the potential kinks first.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 pm 

One note I'd add is that Streaming doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. I think there is still a lot of value in ace pitchers. There is also value in SPs that are startable in the vast majority of their matchups (e.g., a Dodger pitcher). I'd still prefer to get about 2/3 of my starts from permanent SPs on my team. I then plan on streaming for the other 1/3 starts.

The main reason I wouldn't rely on all or nothing for streaming - ESPECIALLY IN RCL - is that streaming fever is all over this site. It's going to decrease the efficiency of streaming IMO....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm 

RUDY,

I went with a mix of 4 guys i plan to start every week and 4 that will be streamed in my 14 team keeper league. I think this gives a nice solid base line for your stats each week and the added flexibility to start a player in a iffy matchup and have it not ruin your week.

Doing this also allowed me to focus on my bats and i have a really nice squad due to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:35 am 

I've always been an ardent fan of streaming, but my main league has dropped Ks in favor of K/9, and added Losses. Does this completely get rid of streaming? Would you guys prioritize quality SPs during the draft? There's a minimum games started per week of 5, so I can't punt SPs. It's a 12-team h2h league. Thanks for any help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next