It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Stanton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

Is pick 12 or 13 too high for Stanton?

Great potential to hit 50 HR's but no protection. Does the injury scare anyone and does anyone think he's too soft to draft that high? Will he play through injuries?

Post subject: Re: Stanton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

I think you would be passing up better players but if you feel he is going to take a step forward then go with it. I am not sold on him b being much more than what he is which is a lot of power but good not great other numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:10 pm 

Stanton has some risk ... injury risk, "the rest of the line-up" risk, and batting average risk due to his low contact rates (though the latter is somewhat mitigated by the fact that when he makes contact, he hits the ball hard). That said, there's lot of risk with many of the first/second rounders this year so there's nothing wrong with Stanton going 12/13. At the end of the day, if you want Stanton on your team and you have picks 12/13, you most likely need to pick him there because he probably won't be around for your next pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 am 

Mauddib wrote:
I think you would be passing up better players but if you feel he is going to take a step forward then go with it. I am not sold on him b being much more than what he is which is a lot of power but good not great other numbers.

Really? Doesn't Grey have Stanton #9 overall? With that said, and if you believe in Grey (most here do), #13 is a steal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm 

apoxonbothyourhouses wrote:
Mauddib wrote:

Really? Doesn't Grey have Stanton #9 overall? With that said, and if you believe in Grey (most here do), #13 is a steal.

Personally (and most people I talk to) have their own rankings. I think #9 is a little high but really are we going to quible over a couple of spots?

It really depends on who you think Stanton is. Does he hit .290 again? Can he get his BB% up? If he can keep his avg up then maybe he can be a top 10 guy. If not he he goes back to his .260 ways (which I do) then I think he is just a young version of Adam Dunn. Lots of power but nothing else to get excited about and an pretty low avg. I just see way too many strike outs and too few BB to keep that BA close to .300.