It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mariner Musings
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 pm 

There was some talk about Smoak on the main page after the Morales trade. I think the Mariners are really kind of interesting offensively going into the season. Hard to know the impact of moving the fences in quantifiably, but qualitatively we can assume it won't hurt.

I've been developing a private theory in recent years (if I had any time I'd love to run the numbers) that you can see an overall effect on the fantasy production of a line up depending upon how many "automatic outs" there are in the line up. Call an automatic out anybody hitting .250 or below with similarly weak OBP and slugging. Rally killers.

In years past the Mariners have been stocked with these guys. And while nobody really really pops out at you in their line up, there is some hope for at least a more balanced flavor with only Brendan Ryan standing out as pathetic. Some combo of Bay/Thames/Wells will have to work in the outfield. You can count Montero, Morales, Ackley, Seager, FraGu, Saunders as likely to be at least viable MLBers. If they can get consistency from the corner outfield and from Smoak, I could see a rising tide floating a bunch of these guys to where they'll return a little more than you might think if you just projected them individually.

Post subject: Re: Mariner Musings
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 pm 

I get what you're saying, I had to laugh when you listed their lineup and called them at least viable MLBers... Ha! Well, they wouldn't be starters on any team but the Astros and maybe the Padres, but that's what the Mariners got... Something that seemed to drop off the radars last year after it happened, Metco moved in their fences and had perhaps their best pitching season in 20 years... Yeah, it's hard to say what will become of the Mariners' hitters with their fences coming in, but it's fair to say they won't all become All-Stars...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:56 pm 

like I said, they haven't got any one guy that really scares you. I like the Ibanez signing though for just the reason I started with. Just trying to get guys who will give you major league caliber at bats and string enough of them together. I think it's a good place for them to start. If they can get one guy with the high upside to break out, starts to look like a real line up.

I like Ramirez and Iwakuma in their rotation too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm 

Yeah, I think they could be a .500 club, but like the Orioles last year, baseball's a funny game and you never know...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.