LOGIN

The Mets aren’t thrilled with the Jenrry Mejia’s production lately, opponents having tallied 16 runs against him through his last 3 outings. Mejia has always been a pitcher who profiles best as a short-stint arm out of the bullpen, but you can’t blame the Mets for exploring the possibility of him as a SP — Mejia features filthy stuff, and if the arsenal were indeed sustainable over a starting pitcher’s workload, he’d be a great asset to any rotation. It appears, now, that the Mets have seen enough. Mejia will be moved to the bullpen and Rafael Montero will fill the void in the Mets rotation. Montrero, age 23, is one of the more polished arms in the minors, bringing immediate upside in both whiffs and ratios. About a month ago, I wrote my Rafael Montero fantasy. Check it out it for further intel.

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Mets: Montero getting the first call-up to the Mets rotation is no surprise — he was probably ready for the bigs last summer, even. So don’t read into this decision as a statement regarding Syndergaard’s readiness or impact potential. Noah’s upside remains enormous, and he’s beginning to settle into his assignment at Vegas, allowing just 1 ER through his last two starts while striking out 15. Perhaps the most exciting aspect of Montero’s arrival is the fact that we’re now one step closer to seeing Syndergaard in New York.

Victor Roache, OF, Brewers: During the pre-season, I ranked the Milwaukee farm dead last in terms of future fantasy impact. We’ve already talked about RHP Jimmy Nelson’s hot start. Now, Roache, perhaps the highest upside bat in the Breweres org, is beginning to heat up — 4 HR in his last 6 games. The might be some home in this group, afterall.

J.P. Crawford, SS, Phillies: The 19th overall pick last June, Crawford is having little trouble adjusting to full-season baseball. The 19-year-old is batting .322/.412/.475 with 3 HR and 7 SB through 30 games.

Mookie Betts, 2B, Red Sox: .392/.449/.600, 5 RH, 15 SB. What else is there to say? Other than, of course, why is Mookie still in Double-A?

Joey Gallo, 3B, Rangers: After knocking 13 through his first 34 games, Gallo has me thinking a 45-homer year is well within reason.

Aaron Blair, RHP, D’Backs: Blair, the 36th overall pick last June, was promoted to High-A Visalia after spending a month at the Low-A level. His transition has been smooth thus far: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 9 K.

Hunter Harvey, RHP, Orioles: Two of the highest-upside high school arms out of last summer’s draft class are Kohl Stewart of the Twins, and Hunter Harvey of the O’s. We’ve already talked a little about Stewart’s terrific start at Low-A Cedar Rapids. And as it happens, Harvey is looking equally impressive at Low-A Delmarva, posting a line at 1.69/1.00/35 through 32 IP.

Byron Buxton, OF, Twins: After missing a month to a wrist injury suffered during spring training, Buxton — perhaps the best fantasy prospect in the game — returned to action earlier this week. He played in five games, he homered once, and then he injured his wrist again…the same wrist. God dammit.

Kris Bryant, 3B, Cubs: I mentioned the other week that I was eagerly anticipating Bryant’s first stretch of serious dominance at Double-A. Well, we might be witnessing the beginning of it right now, as the 22-year-old has drilled 3 HR through his last 3 games, and his AVG has crept north of .315.

Rymer Liriano, OF, Padres: Liriano established himself as a five-tool monster of a prospect in 2012, but the hype faded considerably after he lost all of 2013 to TJ surgery. For those who owned him in dynasty leagues, I hope impatience didn’t lead to drops — Liriano has 7 HR and 5 SB through 32 games so far at Double-A San Antonio.

Francisco Lindor, SS, Indians: The elite defensive profile is noted, and there is zero hyperbole when I say that Lindor’s tools at shortstop are elite. But in 2014, the 20-year-old is surprising me with his pop — 4 HR in 32 games doubles his 2013 total through 104 games.

Mike Foltynewicz, RHP, Astros: After a slew of unspectacular Triple-A outings, Foltynewicz’s most recent start served as a welcome reminder of his considerable potential: 6 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 12 K.