It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeper League Management question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Here's the context: I play in a league that's been together for many years; last year, 6 of us decided to start an offshoot (while still playing the original league), a keeper league (NL-only, roto). All went well. This year, we've invited the others from the original to join us, and one has. We are using Yahoo! as our fantasy interface.

Here's the question: how do we fold the new guy into the league?
Each of us has 4 keepers from last year: (1) from rounds 1 or 2; (3) from the remaining rounds, to include minor leaguers.

Any suggestions as to how to introduce a new manager into the league would be greatly appreciated.

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
OF x 3 J Upton, A Jones, McCutchen
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
P Zimmerman, Moore, Cobb, Peavy, Ryu, Liriano, Straily
RP Wilhelmsen, Mujica, K-Rod, Jansen
DL Henderson, Beachy

Post subject: Re: Keeper League Management question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm 

cfrancis wrote:
Here's the context: I play in a league that's been together for many years; last year, 6 of us decided to start an offshoot (while still playing the original league), a keeper league (NL-only, roto). All went well. This year, we've invited the others from the original to join us, and one has. We are using Yahoo! as our fantasy interface.

Here's the question: how do we fold the new guy into the league?
Each of us has 4 keepers from last year: (1) from rounds 1 or 2; (3) from the remaining rounds, to include minor leaguers.

Any suggestions as to how to introduce a new manager into the league would be greatly appreciated.

So it's a 7 team league? Either you all start from scratch (not ideal) or you let the new person have first pick or you let them choose one keeper from each team (like a supplemental draft) and the people who lose a keeper to him can choose to keep someone else on their own team.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:05 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey wrote:
So it's a 7 team league? Either you all start from scratch (not ideal) or you let the new person have first pick or you let them choose one keeper from each team (like a supplemental draft) and the people who lose a keeper to him can choose to keep someone else on their own team.
Yeah, right now it's seven teams. You're right about starting from scratch; I like the other suggestions.

As the 6 of us from last year all have a 1 (or 2nd) rounder as a keeper, the new guy should get first pick; that makes sense. That first pick would end up being one of his 4 keepers.

I suppose we can leave it at that, and finish the draft as normal...good ideas Grey! Thank you!

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OK, what do you think of this proposal:

The new guy gets the first pick of the draft and the first pick of Rd 2. Then we proceed in a normal snake draft. I think that provides him with enough for the season.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:26 pm 

cfrancis wrote:

The new guy gets the first pick of the draft and the first pick of Rd 2. Then we proceed in a normal snake draft. I think that provides him with enough for the season.

Thoughts? Ideas?

So he's getting the 25th pick of the draft and the 32nd? Sounds okay, if I was him I'd want my choice of a few keepers from the other teams.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey wrote:
cfrancis wrote:

Thoughts? Ideas?

So he's getting the 25th pick of the draft and the 32nd? Sounds okay, if I was him I'd want my choice of a few keepers from the other teams.
I see your point...so, from the original six teams, he should get to pick maybe 1 or 2 keepers?

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 am 

I think he should get the choice of 1 from each, taking up to 4 total. Guys who don't loss a player, loss a draft round.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Thank you Grey. I truly appreciate your help with this matter!

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:11 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey Grey, one last question about this.

I think we're going to let the new guy choose from our keepers; would you let each team protect one keeper? The new guy will only be able to choose one first rounder, as we are only allowed to keep one first rounder.

Whole Votto Love
10-team 5x5 Standard H2H
C Castro
1B C Davis
2B Phillips
3B Longoria
SS Peralta
Util x 2 Choo, D Brown
Bench Seager
DL A Jackson
DL Henderson, Beachy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 am 

I wouldn't put on any stipulations about protecting a player. You didn't have any stipulations when you chose your keepers, right?