It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Omar Infante: All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:39 pm 

I hope he doesn't get in. I'm liking the pissed off Votto.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

havok wrote:
It's Bud's newest "secret" tweak to the All-Star roster - each manager has to pick an undeserving bum that can play multiple positions to better help determine home field advantage for the World Series; hence Infante and Wigginton.

Votto has the loudest argument BY FAR with Latos coming in second. Liriano has a case to state as well. This is what happens when guys like Evan Meek are sent out to Anaheim and league managers can play their political games.

Just another piece of broken Bud Selig baseball.

...I wouldn't call Infante a "bum". The dude plays every position whenever he's asked and comes off the bench for late inning clutch hits on a regular basis. The Braves have the most runs scored from the 7th inning on in baseball, and are among the leaders in pinch hits, too, and Infante is a big part of that.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez
RP - Jonathan Papelbon, John Axford, Glen Perkins, Ryan Cook, David Robertson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 am 

AdmiralTrey wrote:
...I wouldn't call Infante a "bum". The dude plays every position whenever he's asked and comes off the bench for late inning clutch hits on a regular basis.

There is a LONG list of players I'd much rather have on my team that Infante, both for this year and EVERY year. Sure, Infante fits his role on the team perfectly and is a great guy to have off your bench to offer flexibility and timely hitting. NONE of this equates to an All-Star or even close. Let's not even get into the fact that his own team doesn't use him enough for him to qualify for any type of award or leaderboard.

Maybe bum was a bit harsh, but he's still a far cry from a major league star. Does quality bench fodder work better?

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

havok wrote:
AdmiralTrey wrote:
...I wouldn't call Infante a "bum". The dude plays every position whenever he's asked and comes off the bench for late inning clutch hits on a regular basis.

There is a LONG list of players I'd much rather have on my team that Infante, both for this year and EVERY year. Sure, Infante fits his role on the team perfectly and is a great guy to have off your bench to offer flexibility and timely hitting. NONE of this equates to an All-Star or even close. Let's not even get into the fact that his own team doesn't use him enough for him to qualify for any type of award or leaderboard.

Maybe bum was a bit harsh, but he's still a far cry from a major league star. Does quality bench fodder work better?

I'd call him a quality utility man rather than "fodder". He'd be starting on a lot of teams; having a 7 or 8 hole guy that can probably hit .280 or higher every year and fill in any position you need filled is nice.

Obviously he's not an All-Star caliber player, but he's not bad, either. He's getting a lot of unfair negativity over something that was completely out of his hands.

C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
UTL - Kendrys Morales

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:23 pm 

Quality bench fodder- that's funny right there. Gonna have to name one of my teams that.

And you're right, Trey. He is getting criticized for doing nothing other than his job. And doing it well, as you say.

Gotta love that bomb Votto dropped in the apple last night....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:49 pm 

AdmiralTrey wrote:
Obviously he's not an All-Star caliber player, but he's not bad, either. He's getting a lot of unfair negativity over something that was completely out of his hands.

Agreed - obviously it's Manuel that deserves the negativity and not Infante but the least of my concerns is some athletes precious ego.

Can HE even feel alright with going to the All-Star game? He must just lay in bed at night lightly chuckling to himself just waiting for the joke to end. Hopefully this Youk-Votto dual-marketing campaign works out... not that it really corrects the Infante problem. Just fixes the travesty.

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

A-Rod's Cousin wrote:
Quality bench fodder- that's funny right there. Gonna have to name one of my teams that.

And you're right, Trey. He is getting criticized for doing nothing other than his job. And doing it well, as you say.

Gotta love that bomb Votto dropped in the apple last night....

Yeah... Maybe this will spark Votto onto an MVP season. He was on his way towards a chance at that anyway, but it'd be nice to see him go on a crazy tear. He shouldn't be allowed to ride the tea cups, though.

havok wrote:
Agreed - obviously it's Manuel that deserves the negativity and not Infante but the least of my concerns is some athletes precious ego.

Can HE even feel alright with going to the All-Star game? He must just lay in bed at night lightly chuckling to himself just waiting for the joke to end. Hopefully this Youk-Votto dual-marketing campaign works out... not that it really corrects the Infante problem. Just fixes the travesty.

That's the toughest question... I keep trying to think what I'd do if I were in his position, where I knew I shouldn't be there, but knew that if I didn't go, I'd probably never get another chance.
Honestly, maybe he should fake an injury so that he can get replaced but still participate in the All-Star festivities.

C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
UTL - Kendrys Morales

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:05 am 

I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to do the quote thing... but this is an obvious illustration of don't hate the player, hate the game.

Manuel doesn't deserve criticism based on the rules. His team has been in the last 2 Series and i'm sure he plans on making it 3. Picking guys that he feels will help him win the game is just good management.

In a realistic world, Infante shouldn't be on the All Star roster, but because Selig Ball rules that an exhibition game has an impact on the World Series means Manuel has to manage this game like it's Game .5 -can't blame him there. Just another example of marketing watering down an otherwise good thing, imo, but that's a bigger issue MLB has yet to reel in....

If i were in Infante's position (there's a joke there) i wouldn't fake an injury but instead soak up the moment because, as you say, it ain't gonna happen again.

I think it would be awesome if Votto winds up with the first Triple Crown in about 40 years or whatever it is (i'm too lazy to look it up) and isn't technically an "all star".

On a personal note, i won't bore you with the details of the the shit i was taking last year for moving Howard to make room for Votto and how that talk has subsided.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:39 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

A-Rod's Cousin wrote:
I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to do the quote thing... but this is an obvious illustration of don't hate the player, hate the game.

There's a quote button at the bottom right of each post

Quote:
Manuel doesn't deserve criticism based on the rules. His team has been in the last 2 Series and i'm sure he plans on making it 3. Picking guys that he feels will help him win the game is just good management.

In a realistic world, Infante shouldn't be on the All Star roster, but because Selig Ball rules that an exhibition game has an impact on the World Series means Manuel has to manage this game like it's Game .5 -can't blame him there. Just another example of marketing watering down an otherwise good thing, imo, but that's a bigger issue MLB has yet to reel in....

While it's true that this game matters for the playoffs, I still can't think of much reason why he would rather have Infante in there than Votto. Hitting-wise, there's not even a question who is better. Power goes to Votto in a gigantic landslide, and contact does, too.
The only thing I can think of is that Infante is good at coming off the bench and pinch hitting, whereas late in the game, all of the stars on the team aren't going to be used to having to come pinch hit.

Quote:
If i were in Infante's position (there's a joke there) i wouldn't fake an injury but instead soak up the moment because, as you say, it ain't gonna happen again.

I think it would be awesome if Votto winds up with the first Triple Crown in about 40 years or whatever it is (i'm too lazy to look it up) and isn't technically an "all star".

On a personal note, i won't bore you with the details of the the shit i was taking last year for moving Howard to make room for Votto and how that talk has subsided.....

I'd ultimately probably do the same thing, and yeah, lat year I made a declaration in a Sports group where I've got a 2,000+ post back and forth battle with another guy that Votto would hit 35+ HR's before the season started and he was giving me all sorts of heckling over it, especially after he had his dizzy bouts. This year we get the last laugh!

C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
UTL - Kendrys Morales