It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Brady for Smith
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:42 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey folks,

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to fantasy football, so any sage advice would be great appreciated. I only started a commenter league because I enjoyed the Razzball Baseball Commenter Leagues so much that I wanted to try out the football side of things.

Anyway, I've been offered Tom Brady for Steve Smith. At first glance, it seems like a great trade, but when I look at my team, I begin to lean against it. It's a ten team standard league (commenter league team).
Here's my team as it stands...

QB - Rivers
WR - G. Jennings, S. Smith, B. Lloyd
RB - C. Johnson, D. McFadden
TE - J. Finley
K - A. Henery
Def - Houston
Bench:
Seatle, Tamme (TE), Meacham (WR), Redman (RB), Spiller (RB), Shaub (QB)

So from what I understand I probably don't need to carry Tamme and Seatle on my bench... but I like having my bye weeks taken care of. If I accept the trade, I'll most likely drop Shaub and pick up a semi-mediocre receiver to replace him.
I could counter him, maybe offer Shaub/Smith for Brady/ +someone else... but no one else really catches my eye... Helu? D. Moore? He's got Michael Turner, but I doubt he'd give him up..

Thoughts?

Thanks!

c- Ramos
1b- Belt
2B- Kendrick
3B - Machado
SS - Segura
OF - Harper, Heyward, Polanco
UT - Arenado
B - Prado, Aybar, Craig

Minors - Correa, McGuire, Frazier

SP - Eovaldi, Gausman, Gray, Odorizzi, Darvish, Miller, Salazar, Cole
RP - Allen

Minors - Ball, Glasnow, Harvey, Kingham, Urias, Wisler, Zimmer, C. Martinez

Post subject: Re: Brady for Smith
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

The one counter offer I think I may make is Brady/Britt for Shaub/Smith.... Thoughts?

c- Ramos
1b- Belt
2B- Kendrick
3B - Machado
SS - Segura
UT - Arenado
B - Prado, Aybar, Craig

RP - Allen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:29 pm 

Team commentary: Yeah, backup DEF and TE not for me. I hear ya about filling your bye weeks but do they even have a good matchup for that week when you need them? Or they could get hurt between then and now and not play the week you need them or the defense loses a key player. Just saying, they're not worth a bench spot in a ten team. I'd want my bench filled with RBs who have potential. Then when/if your TE goes down or you have a bye week and one of them doesn't pan out, you go waiver wire fishing.

You're being offered a top 10 player for Steve Smith. You just take the trade and run and let the other chips fall where they may. With Brady, you try and move Rivers or Schaub (you'll get more value from Rivers and that's the route I'd go) for your 3rd WR (or 4th depending on how Meachem pans out).

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:32 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Thanks Sky!

I pulled the trigger on the trade last night. I was going to think it over and decide this morning, but I didn't want to let the chance of getting possibly the best QB in the game for my #2 WR. I also took your advice and dropped my second D for Kevin Smith.

Now I'm trying to swing Rivers or Shaub for another WR.. Would Shaub for Britt be crazy? I know there are some concerns with Britt, but I like his upside and may be willing to risk it with Meacham on my roster.

How long do I keep the 2 QBS on my bench if I can't find a trading partner?

I'm really hoping I can find an Antonio Brown or someone a bit better for Rivers... maybe an injury to a top QB would be the best chance I have.

Thanks again!

c- Ramos
1b- Belt
2B- Kendrick
3B - Machado
SS - Segura
UT - Arenado
B - Prado, Aybar, Craig

RP - Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 am 

No prob, glad to help! Amazing Kevin Smith was still on waivers...

I like Britt for Schaub and no, it's not crazy. Britt has top 10 potential but has health/DUI issues. Just depends on if the owner is in need and his feelings about Britt. Rivers' value will depend on what the other team's QB needs are. I'd keep the QBs until you see something from a skill player that changes your mind and drop Schaub for him. If someone has a rough couple of first weeks with their first string QB, Rivers should net you a large sum.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 am 

This trade is so one sided, words cannot express it. Not sure what was on the mind of the manager that proposed it. It seems he is just getting out of the league with no intent to participate and dumping his best player to "ruin it" for the rest. :twisted:

Making this trade imbalances the entire league (your team was very good to begin with). Hiding behind being "only a newbie" doesn't justify accepting this trade. If someone else was the recipient of this offer, wouldn't you vote it down as being unfair/lopsided? Have the stones to recognize this for what it is and decline the trade.

For the good of your league, this trade should not be made.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey man, no need for personal attacks.

Check our message board for my response. The last thing I want to do is taint the league. As commish, I would have let this trade fly for anyone else, and yes I'm going to mention that I haven't done this before, because I haven't, and because I assumed that there was a league veto ability (let the league sort it out, I don't have enough football knowledge to judge trades).

c- Ramos
1b- Belt
2B- Kendrick
3B - Machado
SS - Segura
UT - Arenado
B - Prado, Aybar, Craig

RP - Allen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:09 pm 

The only reason for a veto is obvious collusion, and this is definitely not that. Vetoing trades based on fairness (in any fantasy sport) damages a league's integrity far more than a lopsided trade will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:09 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

All right, so I guess I need some advice about being "commish". I went into it not planning on vetoing trades (how I operate in baseball, too). Should I try to reverse this trade since it's obviously (and rightfully so?) upset some people? The only way I can do that, since the other party involved is AWOL, is to use my commish powers to add/drop players from our respective teams. I'm really not comfortable with that. Or, I just let it be, since it wasn't collusion. But as commish and as the party that will prosper from this trade, I'm in a tough spot since I don't want to taint the league and keep it "fair".

What should I do?

c- Ramos
1b- Belt
2B- Kendrick
3B - Machado
SS - Segura
UT - Arenado
B - Prado, Aybar, Craig

RP - Allen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 am 

raftman wrote:
All right, so I guess I need some advice about being "commish". I went into it not planning on vetoing trades (how I operate in baseball, too). Should I try to reverse this trade since it's obviously (and rightfully so?) upset some people? The only way I can do that, since the other party involved is AWOL, is to use my commish powers to add/drop players from our respective teams. I'm really not comfortable with that. Or, I just let it be, since it wasn't collusion. But as commish and as the party that will prosper from this trade, I'm in a tough spot since I don't want to taint the league and keep it "fair".

What should I do?

You're right, it is a tough spot. In the end, it's not collusion and just because you're the commish doesn't mean you came to give everyone their trades and not your own. It has to stand pat but be ready for a lot of BS trades to try and 'prove' their point. Integrity of the league is important but that cuts both ways. You could also email out to everyone and communicate your thoughts to make sure they understand where you're coming from. Might help.