It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: League 11 (I believe) Wrap-Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 am 

$50 buy-in, league name is One's Are Good: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/tools/draf ... ueId=15770

Closers went far, far earlier than I ever expected, so I'm definitely chasing saves this year. I really, really like Halladay this year, so I wanted to get the ace and deal with the rest of the staff later. Zobrist batting in the 3rd spot in that lineup boosted him up. My team:
CA PENAL LEAGUE ALL STARS
2 Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS
23 Roy Halladay, Phi SP
26 Grady Sizemore, Cle OF
47 Ben Zobrist, TB 2B
50 Andre Ethier, LAD OF
71 Derrek Lee, ChC 1B
74 Shane Victorino, Phi OF
95 Tommy Hanson, Atl SP
98 Manny Ramirez, LAD OF
119 Michael Bourn, Hou OF
122 John Lackey, Bos SP
143 Adam LaRoche, Ari 1B
146 Huston Street, Col RP
167 Brad Lidge, Phi RP
170 Jonathan Sanchez, SF SP
191 Nyjer Morgan, Was OF
194 Clay Buchholz, Bos SP
215 Troy Glaus, Atl 3B
218 Matt Lindstrom, Hou RP
239 Ryan Doumit, Pit C
242 Kelly Johnson, Ari 2B
263 Kerry Wood, Cle RP
266 Joe Blanton, Phi SP
287 Alex Gordon, KC 3B
290 Jason Motte, StL RP

Post subject: Re: League 11 (I believe) Wrap-Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 am 

YouthofToday wrote:
Closers went far, far earlier than I ever expected, so I'm definitely chasing saves this year. I really, really like Halladay this year, so I wanted to get the ace and deal with the rest of the staff later. Zobrist batting in the 3rd spot in that lineup boosted him up. My team:
CA PENAL LEAGUE ALL STARS
2 Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS
23 Roy Halladay, Phi SP
26 Grady Sizemore, Cle OF
47 Ben Zobrist, TB 2B
50 Andre Ethier, LAD OF
71 Derrek Lee, ChC 1B
74 Shane Victorino, Phi OF
95 Tommy Hanson, Atl SP
98 Manny Ramirez, LAD OF
119 Michael Bourn, Hou OF
122 John Lackey, Bos SP
143 Adam LaRoche, Ari 1B
146 Huston Street, Col RP
167 Brad Lidge, Phi RP
170 Jonathan Sanchez, SF SP
191 Nyjer Morgan, Was OF
194 Clay Buchholz, Bos SP
215 Troy Glaus, Atl 3B
218 Matt Lindstrom, Hou RP
239 Ryan Doumit, Pit C
242 Kelly Johnson, Ari 2B
263 Kerry Wood, Cle RP
266 Joe Blanton, Phi SP
287 Alex Gordon, KC 3B
290 Jason Motte, StL RP

I think you're gonna be chasing power too. Looks like a team with more speed than it needs and less power. Your top pitcher is obviously very strong, but I don't like your next two. That's probably why you were able to get them in an RCL, so they could work out for you. Ya know, personal preference and all.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:20 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yup, it was quite the draft! Here's my Team:

WORLDWIDE SUICIDE
11 Ryan Howard, Phi 1B
14 Justin Upton, Ari OF
35 Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
38 Pablo Sandoval, SF 3B
59 Johan Santana, NYM SP
62 Josh Johnson, Fla SP
83 Bobby Abreu, LAA OF
86 Ricky Nolasco, Fla SP
107 Jason Bartlett, TB SS
110 Juan Pierre, CWS OF
131 Brian Wilson, SF RP
134 Kevin Slowey, Min SP
155 Rickie Weeks, Mil 2B
158 Mike Gonzalez, Bal RP
179 Hideki Matsui, LAA DH
182 Jorge Cantu, Fla 3B
203 Jorge Posada, NYY C
206 Chris Coghlan, Fla OF
227 Ben Sheets, Oak SP
230 Kevin Gregg, Tor RP
251 Casey McGehee, Mil 2B
254 Brian Matusz, Bal SP
275 Scott Podsednik, KC OF
278 Nick Johnson, NYY 1B
299 Colby Lewis, Tex SP

:geek:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 pm 

Pat wrote:
Yup, it was quite the draft! Here's my Team:

WORLDWIDE SUICIDE
11 Ryan Howard, Phi 1B
14 Justin Upton, Ari OF
35 Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
38 Pablo Sandoval, SF 3B
59 Johan Santana, NYM SP
62 Josh Johnson, Fla SP
83 Bobby Abreu, LAA OF
86 Ricky Nolasco, Fla SP
107 Jason Bartlett, TB SS
110 Juan Pierre, CWS OF
131 Brian Wilson, SF RP
134 Kevin Slowey, Min SP
155 Rickie Weeks, Mil 2B
158 Mike Gonzalez, Bal RP
179 Hideki Matsui, LAA DH
182 Jorge Cantu, Fla 3B
203 Jorge Posada, NYY C
206 Chris Coghlan, Fla OF
227 Ben Sheets, Oak SP
230 Kevin Gregg, Tor RP
251 Casey McGehee, Mil 2B
254 Brian Matusz, Bal SP
275 Scott Podsednik, KC OF
278 Nick Johnson, NYY 1B
299 Colby Lewis, Tex SP

:geek:

Hey, Pat didn't I look at your team in the comments?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:47 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yes Grey,
Thought that a lot of people from our league might be posting their teams here. That and I was DESPERATE for your fantasy advice! I've already been offered Cano for Ellsbury. My 2b is 'Week' and like you said before I need more power. I would still have Pierre and 'cough' Podsednik 'cough'. Tough call.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 pm 

The draft was pretty tough. Not too surprising considering the crowd. I ended up taking some guys that aren't big Razzball favorites and doing things draft wise that I usually try to avoid... like taking an early SP1, early catcher & taking a 12-dollar salad closer. Not incredibly happy with the team, but I'm hoping it should be competitive with a little luck. The war room has me tied for 3rd, but I think there's plenty of work that needs to be done.

I was drafting out of the 8 hole. Here goes:

C - McCann (5th)
1B - Miggy (1st)
2B - Roberts (7th)
SS - Alexei Ramirez (11th)
3B - Michael Young (9th)
1B/3B - Brandon Wood (23rd)
2B/SS - Evercab (16th)
OF - Werth (3rd)
OF - Lind (4th)
OF - Carlos Lee (6th)
OF - Robot Jones (14th)
OF - Maybin (18th)
Util - Milledge (21st)
Bench - Beltran (10) definite panic pick
SP - Lincecum (2nd)
SP - Weaver (12th)
SP - Burnett (13th)
SP - Cueto (15th)
SP - Zambrano (17th)
SP - Edwin Jackson (20th)
SP - Morrow (25th)
CL - Mo Rivera (8th)
CL - Madson (19th)
MR - Bard (22nd)
MR - Medlen (24th)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 am 

I will also subject myself/my team to the mercy of Grey. Numbers represent round and (overall pick number).

C- Joe Mauer 2 (24)
1B- Albert Pujols 1 (1)
2B- Asdrubal Cabrera 10 (120)
3B- Mark Reynolds 3 (25)
SS- Derek Jeter 4 (48)
MI- Erick Aybar 16 (192)
CI- Paul Konerko 19 (217)
OF- Jason Bay 5 (49)
OF- Andrew McCutchen 7 (73)
OF- Ryan Ludwick 14 (168)
OF- Corey Hart 17 (193)
OF- Brett Gardner 23 (265)
Util- Vlad Guerrero 11 (121)

P- Chris Carpenter 6 (72)
P- Jake Peavy 8 (96)
P- Chad Billingsley 9 (97)
P- Jair Jurrjens 15 (169)
P- Rich Harden 18 (216)
P- Aaron Harang 20 (240)
P- Erik Bedard 21 (241)
P- Chad Qualls 12 (144)
P- Frank Francisco 13 (145)

BN- Jason Frasor 22 (264)
BN- Takashi Saito 24 (288)
BN- Josh Willingham 25 (289)

My plan was to get the best value early, address needs in the middle, and look for players with the my highest dollar values late in the draft. I know that Grey isn’t crazy about drafting Mauer or Reynolds early but I thought that they were both steals at this point in the draft. Reynolds’ BA was an afterthought after drafting both Pujols and Mauer. I drank the ESPN Kool-Aid and talked myself into Jeter in the 4th. Is there really much of a difference between his numbers and Pedroia’s, who plays a deeper position and who I would have no reservations drafting there? My OF isn’t a team strength but Ludwick and Hart could produce quite a return on the small investment. Vlad could be a great value in the 11th. The speed of this team isn’t great but I can live with it for now.

My staff has some risk but has a ton of upside and a couple of solid options- again, I wanted buy-low or bounce-back guys. If I get a full year worth of starts from the combination of Harden and Bedard I will be thrilled. I figure that as soon as Bedard is ready to come back, Harden will be ready for the DL. I also feel good that I am not yet at the mercy of Fred and his staff of closers as I have 2 solid options.

All in all, I feel happy about this draft.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:33 am 

Roger Dorn's Nemesis wrote:
The draft was pretty tough. Not too surprising considering the crowd. I ended up taking some guys that aren't big Razzball favorites and doing things draft wise that I usually try to avoid... like taking an early SP1, early catcher & taking a 12-dollar salad closer. Not incredibly happy with the team, but I'm hoping it should be competitive with a little luck. The war room has me tied for 3rd, but I think there's plenty of work that needs to be done.

I was drafting out of the 8 hole. Here goes:

C - McCann (5th)
1B - Miggy (1st)
2B - Roberts (7th)
SS - Alexei Ramirez (11th)
3B - Michael Young (9th)
1B/3B - Brandon Wood (23rd)
2B/SS - Evercab (16th)
OF - Werth (3rd)
OF - Lind (4th)
OF - Carlos Lee (6th)
OF - Robot Jones (14th)
OF - Maybin (18th)
Util - Milledge (21st)
Bench - Beltran (10) definite panic pick
SP - Lincecum (2nd)
SP - Weaver (12th)
SP - Burnett (13th)
SP - Cueto (15th)
SP - Zambrano (17th)
SP - Edwin Jackson (20th)
SP - Morrow (25th)
CL - Mo Rivera (8th)
CL - Madson (19th)
MR - Bard (22nd)
MR - Medlen (24th)

I like that strategy. The zig vs. others' zags. Your SPs are solid. I don't mind the Lincecum + mid-tier approach if you can pull it off and it seems like you have. The end of your staff might be a little wonky though. Re: Hitting -- Roberts has a question marks right now, obviously. And the end of your hitting is pretty risky -- MIlledge, Wood, Maybin... It does look like a solid overall team though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:37 am 

milk steak wrote:
I will also subject myself/my team to the mercy of Grey. Numbers represent round and (overall pick number).

C- Joe Mauer 2 (24)
1B- Albert Pujols 1 (1)
2B- Asdrubal Cabrera 10 (120)
3B- Mark Reynolds 3 (25)
SS- Derek Jeter 4 (48)
MI- Erick Aybar 16 (192)
OF- Jason Bay 5 (49)
OF- Andrew McCutchen 7 (73)
OF- Corey Hart 17 (193)
Util- Vlad Guerrero 11 (121)

P- Chris Carpenter 6 (72)
P- Jake Peavy 8 (96)
P- Chad Billingsley 9 (97)
P- Rich Harden 18 (216)
P- Aaron Harang 20 (240)
P- Erik Bedard 21 (241)
P- Chad Qualls 12 (144)
P- Frank Francisco 13 (145)

BN- Jason Frasor 22 (264)
BN- Takashi Saito 24 (288)
BN- Josh Willingham 25 (289)

My plan was to get the best value early, address needs in the middle, and look for players with the my highest dollar values late in the draft. I know that Grey isn’t crazy about drafting Mauer or Reynolds early but I thought that they were both steals at this point in the draft. Reynolds’ BA was an afterthought after drafting both Pujols and Mauer. I drank the ESPN Kool-Aid and talked myself into Jeter in the 4th. Is there really much of a difference between his numbers and Pedroia’s, who plays a deeper position and who I would have no reservations drafting there? My OF isn’t a team strength but Ludwick and Hart could produce quite a return on the small investment. Vlad could be a great value in the 11th. The speed of this team isn’t great but I can live with it for now.

My staff has some risk but has a ton of upside and a couple of solid options- again, I wanted buy-low or bounce-back guys. If I get a full year worth of starts from the combination of Harden and Bedard I will be thrilled. I figure that as soon as Bedard is ready to come back, Harden will be ready for the DL. I also feel good that I am not yet at the mercy of Fred and his staff of closers as I have 2 solid options.

All in all, I feel happy about this draft.

This:

MI- Erick Aybar 16 (192)
P- Rich Harden 18 (216)
P- Aaron Harang 20 (240)
P- Erik Bedard 21 (241)
OF- Corey Hart 17 (193)

Probably isn't great. Harden and Bedard -- Maybe you get 140 IP from them combined. Good upside obviously, but they can't stay healthy then couple that with Carp and Peavy who are also injury risks, it's a lot of risk. If it all pans out, then it's great, but I think you'll probably lose at least 3 of them. Your hitting also has a lot of question marks. The first 5 picks are okay, then you only have one guy I'd rely on. It's not great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:55 am 

Grey,

Thanks for the feedback. The whole Brian Roberts epidural thing did come up in the draft chat... That pick is one that I fought with myself on both before & after the selection. The fact that two of my top 10 picks have had things like microfracture surgery & epidurals discussed in the past 6 months could be a bit of a red flag. Team will need some good pickups or trades to make a run.

Thanks again for the eval..