It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Case For ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 am 

I think the ESPN game is more fun to play, so I thought I would list the reasons I think it is best for the RCL. I realize Yahoo fans will consider some of the things I consider positives to be negatives. This is just my opinion. I also know that both games can be customized, but since we use mostly default settings in the RCL, that is what I am considering.

Pre Ranking: Many people don't bother to pre-rank before the draft, but I've found my drafts go much smoother when I have put in Grey's Top 300. It is time consuming in both formats, but I find ESPN's system much easier to use.

Limits: I like the fact ESPN doesn't limit ABs or IPs, because it suits the way I play. I know many feel this is unfair though.

Live updating of standings: Love to be able to see immediately if my good day has translated into a gain in the standings. I suppose people with lives aren't checking this all the time, though.

Front page: Not too important, but I like the placement of the League Manager's message, and the fact you can include pictures, or even videos.

Team page: Love the Rotoline, which shows your team's stats in each category, plus the numbers for the team right above you and right below you. When you mouseover those numbers, it shows which team you are chasing (or is chasing you).
Attachment:
espn4.PNG
espn4.PNG [ 108.86 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

And, if you don't like this cluttering your page, it can be removed.

I also like how the roster opens to show the stats you were using last time you visited the page. For instance, I like to see the last 7 days, so that's what is always showing.

Attachment:
espn5.PNG
espn5.PNG [ 55.22 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

Click the "Limits" tab and scroll down to your pitchers to see how many starts you have left to use.

The "Move" button makes for very easy lineup changes, and I love that the opposing pitcher is shown. When you click on a player's name, you get a popup with a lot of useful information, including left/right for both batters and pitchers, which I usually don't remember so always have to check for matchups.

Attachment:
espn2.PNG
espn2.PNG [ 103.26 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

Clicking "More Stats" will bring up SLG, OBP, TB, and K.

The "Transaction" tab shows who has owned the player:

Added from Free Agency by The VinciblesAug 16, 5:56 AM
Dropped by The Scoobies!Jul 26, 1:24 PM
Added from Free Agency by The Scoobies!Jun 29, 7:56 AM
Dropped by The VinciblesJun 24, 2:11 PM
Added from Free Agency by The VinciblesJun 24, 1:06 PM
Dropped by The VinciblesJun 22, 6:55 PM
Added from Free Agency by The VinciblesJun 11, 7:39 PM
Dropped by The VinciblesApr 26, 4:30 AM
Added from Free Agency by The VinciblesApr 25, 6:01 AM
Dropped by The VinciblesApr 23, 4:01 PM
Added from Free Agency by The VinciblesApr 20, 8:19 AM
Dropped by Dukes of FlatbushApr 20, 6:03 AM
Added from Free Agency by Dukes of FlatbushApr 19, 12:35 PM

Active Stats: (Team Log in Yahoo) I like ESPN's added feature of weekly totals and the inclusion of the stats necessary for calculating ERA and WHIP in the pitcher stats, not just the final numbers. With walks and hits shown, for instance, I can figure out the WHIP for a selected group of pitchers.

For me, these features make the ESPN game more enjoyable.

Post subject: Re: The Case For ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am 

Vin, I'm being totally serious when I say if you want us to use ESPN, we will use ESPN... You've been too huge a help and have made the leagues so much fun that if you want ESPN, it's yours.... It's the least we can do... I know, it's hard for me to not sound sarcastic, but I'm not being it right now...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm 

Ha! I have to admit, I figured you were probably kidding me previously when you suggested we might stay at ESPN. But, if it is up to me, then the Razzball Commenter Leagues will be staying on ESPN. Let the celebrations begin!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:16 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

VinWins wrote:
Ha! I have to admit, I figured you were probably kidding me previously when you suggested we might stay at ESPN. But, if it is up to me, then the Razzball Commenter Leagues will be staying on ESPN. Let the celebrations begin!

Boooooooooooooo. ;)

J/k Vin. We love ya, and everything you do for the RCLs, in all seriousness.

But I would just like to point out that Yahoo also has live updated standings in the Stattracker. It's not just ESPN that has that.

As you know, I prefer Yahoo (RCL is the only league I play on ESPN), but in the end I'll play no matter who the host is.

But again, hopefully I can play in at least 1 league with you next year Vin, and make it 3 straight ass-beatings. What do you say to that?? ;)

Also, I know this isn't a great place to bring this up, but I think I'd like to commish an RCL league next year, but I'd like it to be invite only. I'd like to make it a Champions League, consisting of managers that won their RCL this year (perhaps I shouldn't assume I'm going to win Cracking the WHIP, but I'm going to for the moment). I know there's been talk of such a league in the past (and maybe it's even already been done), and I think I'd like to try to pull it off next year, if you and Grey think that is a fine format.

Let me know what you guys think.

RIV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 pm 

I see nothing wrong with it, but there will be more league managers that are winners than there will be spots in your league...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:16 pm 

Thanks for your input, RIV.

I can't get StatTracker to work in my browser of choice (Pale Moon), and in Chrome it takes a while to load on my computer. Good to know it is there though. As I've said, I like everything about the ESPN game, but I also find it easier to use for compiling the draft results and stats. I'll probably be ready to quit doing that stuff in another year, so maybe then the switch to Yahoo will occur.

Can you really get any enjoyment from beating me again? Must be boring for you. I've never won anything but public leagues, and even then only about 50% of the time, while everybody says they are too easy. Looks like this year I will probably be 0 for 7, including 2 public leagues, 2 RCLs, Fantasy Razzball, 15-teamer, and 6x6 league. Seriously, I'll play you again. I'm sure you've just been lucky for 2 years. Of course, I'm not even in 2nd place.

You are certainly free to form an invite RCL like Steve does with Original Recipe or Paulie with the ECFBL. Next year I'm only inviting managers that made 0 moves this season. (Sure, I'd like to be the big fish in an empty pond!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it, but there will be more league managers that are winners than there will be spots in your league...

Yes. I'd probably just make it the first 11 league-winning managers that say they are interested (again, assuming I win my league, where I see my lead is back down to 1 point :/ ). It doesn't much matter to me which league winners participate, as long as they won their league this year. I'd probably try to actually get the spots filled when the season is done this year, so I'd likely try to get 4-5 reserve managers as well.