It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: RCL A Latin 9 Team Division
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:02 pm 

Seems fine to me.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I apologize for posting my draft so late. I actually was not familiar at all with the forums. Now that I have found them, I see that my fellow managers have given a running commentary, so I feel obligated to do the same. However, it has no been a number of weeks since the draft, so I don't recall my reasoning process as I went through each pick. I do remember that I found the draft to be quite difficult, as most everybody employed Razzball drafting tactics. I attempted to follow Rudy's BRAN approach for the most part. Big time sluggers all went off the board quickly; catchers were almost completely neglected, and good starters could be found in the bottom quarter of the draft.

TEAM -THE ASHA'MAN
MANAGER - PAULIE ALLNUTS

1- Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS - I had second pick. Reyes had been taken. It was either HanRam or Poo holes, and I had the latter in another league. You can hardly go wrong with either.
2- Justin Morneau - Min !B - I am not a big fan of Morneau, but if I remember correctly, first baseman were going quickly, and I wanted to get at least a 2nd tier guy. (Puhols is top tier all by himself. I think that Gray said that.)
3 - CC Sabathia - NYY SP - Rudy's philosophy all the way. Lots of wins, lots of K's, lots of innings, no health problems.
4 - Ichiro Suzuki - Sea OF - I'm not a big fan, and have never drafted Ichiro before, and I had HamRam, and didn't particularly need the steals. I think outfielders were going quickly. And now he is on the DL.
5 - Magglio Ordonez - Det OF - Solid and steady producer
6 - Felix Hernandez - Sea SP - Gray's influence
7 - Ryan Ludwick, StL OF - I had him last year, and felt that he was a bargain in 7th round. He has as many round-trippers as Puhols last year.
8 - Mariano Rivera - NYY RP - Best closer in ML history; no one lese is even close. Age has not hit him as yet. Has never had a bad year. Ever. Thus rules for closers don't apply.
9 - Jose Lopez - Sea 2B - A pick out of sheer desparation. Some jeering from my peers. However, the list of quality 2 baggers was thin, and I didn't want to get stuck with Polanco. His stats, BTW, indicate that he should be drafted around the 9th round, and not where he was projected to go. Just realized that 3 of my first 8 picks were Mariners. Could that be a RED FLAG for my draft?
10 - Lastings Milledge - Wsh OF - I thought the spell had waned, but I couldn't resist my favorite Bowden fluffer
11 - Ryan Zimmerman - Wsh 3B - Always dissapoints, and probably will do so again.
12 - Scott Baker - Min SP - Solid starter; I'm hoping for close to 15 wins and 175 K's; hopefully the shoulder stiffness is not a red flag
13 - Mike Aviles - KC 2b/SS - someone on Razzball said that Aviles was Blahtastic recently. .325 and 10 dingers seems ok for a back-up MI.
14 - Carlos Guillen, Det 3B - Hoping that his back does not act up, and he regains 2007 form: 21 homers and 102 RBI. If he doesn't, and Zim doesn't step up, third base could be an issue.
15 - Ryan Dempster, ChC SP - I had Dempster all last year, and he was terrific, and was the ultimate Homeschooler. All the Analcysts kept telling me to sell high; thankfully, I avoided doing so. This year they all say he will regress. I think not.
16 - Brian Wilson, SF RP - 40 saves for the Giants is close to Razztastic, although the ERA not so much.
17 - Jorge Posada, NYY C - I live in the NY area, and when the Mets aren't on, i tune in to watch the Phils and the Yanks. Posada still can hit, hasn't lost bat speed, will DH and pace himself, but I am betting that his final stats will be as good as any but the top 4 catchers.
18 - Chris Carpenter, StL SP - My best pick in the draft.
19 - Melvin Mora, Bal 3B - The old man is a Ribbie machine, and has gotten off to a fast start
20 - Travis Snider, Tor OF - A poor man's Jay Bruce
21 - Kevin Gregg, ChC RP - I can't stand Gregg
22 - Mike Pelfrey, NYM SP - Great 2nd half stats last year; with his speed, his K's will increase.
23 - Khalil Greene, StL SS - A prayer and a hope that he will come close to his potential
24 - Jose Guillen*, KC OF - already cut; currently Kyle Davies is the replacement
25 - Daniel Murphy, NYM - You will all be on the Murphy bandwagon in several months. The kid can hit, and he is sandwiched between Reyes and Wright.

All in all, I am ok with my team. I think that it is solid enough to contend. It is not a powerhouse in any one area, but seems, at least to me, well balanced. But, of course, other feedback is always welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 pm 

no1gandolf wrote:
I apologize for posting my draft so late. I actually was not familiar at all with the forums. Now that I have found them, I see that my fellow managers have given a running commentary, so I feel obligated to do the same. However, it has no been a number of weeks since the draft, so I don't recall my reasoning process as I went through each pick. I do remember that I found the draft to be quite difficult, as most everybody employed Razzball drafting tactics. I attempted to follow Rudy's BRAN approach for the most part. Big time sluggers all went off the board quickly; catchers were almost completely neglected, and good starters could be found in the bottom quarter of the draft.

TEAM -THE ASHA'MAN
MANAGER - PAULIE ALLNUTS

1- Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS - I had second pick. Reyes had been taken. It was either HanRam or Poo holes, and I had the latter in another league. You can hardly go wrong with either.
2- Justin Morneau - Min !B - I am not a big fan of Morneau, but if I remember correctly, first baseman were going quickly, and I wanted to get at least a 2nd tier guy. (Puhols is top tier all by himself. I think that Gray said that.)
3 - CC Sabathia - NYY SP - Rudy's philosophy all the way. Lots of wins, lots of K's, lots of innings, no health problems.
4 - Ichiro Suzuki - Sea OF - I'm not a big fan, and have never drafted Ichiro before, and I had HamRam, and didn't particularly need the steals. I think outfielders were going quickly. And now he is on the DL.
5 - Magglio Ordonez - Det OF - Solid and steady producer
6 - Felix Hernandez - Sea SP - Gray's influence
7 - Ryan Ludwick, StL OF - I had him last year, and felt that he was a bargain in 7th round. He has as many round-trippers as Puhols last year.
8 - Mariano Rivera - NYY RP - Best closer in ML history; no one lese is even close. Age has not hit him as yet. Has never had a bad year. Ever. Thus rules for closers don't apply.
9 - Jose Lopez - Sea 2B - A pick out of sheer desparation. Some jeering from my peers. However, the list of quality 2 baggers was thin, and I didn't want to get stuck with Polanco. His stats, BTW, indicate that he should be drafted around the 9th round, and not where he was projected to go. Just realized that 3 of my first 8 picks were Mariners. Could that be a RED FLAG for my draft?
10 - Lastings Milledge - Wsh OF - I thought the spell had waned, but I couldn't resist my favorite Bowden fluffer
11 - Ryan Zimmerman - Wsh 3B - Always dissapoints, and probably will do so again.
12 - Scott Baker - Min SP - Solid starter; I'm hoping for close to 15 wins and 175 K's; hopefully the shoulder stiffness is not a red flag
13 - Mike Aviles - KC 2b/SS - someone on Razzball said that Aviles was Blahtastic recently. .325 and 10 dingers seems ok for a back-up MI.
14 - Carlos Guillen, Det 3B - Hoping that his back does not act up, and he regains 2007 form: 21 homers and 102 RBI. If he doesn't, and Zim doesn't step up, third base could be an issue.
15 - Ryan Dempster, ChC SP - I had Dempster all last year, and he was terrific, and was the ultimate Homeschooler. All the Analcysts kept telling me to sell high; thankfully, I avoided doing so. This year they all say he will regress. I think not.
16 - Brian Wilson, SF RP - 40 saves for the Giants is close to Razztastic, although the ERA not so much.
17 - Jorge Posada, NYY C - I live in the NY area, and when the Mets aren't on, i tune in to watch the Phils and the Yanks. Posada still can hit, hasn't lost bat speed, will DH and pace himself, but I am betting that his final stats will be as good as any but the top 4 catchers.
18 - Chris Carpenter, StL SP - My best pick in the draft.
19 - Melvin Mora, Bal 3B - The old man is a Ribbie machine, and has gotten off to a fast start
20 - Travis Snider, Tor OF - A poor man's Jay Bruce
21 - Kevin Gregg, ChC RP - I can't stand Gregg
22 - Mike Pelfrey, NYM SP - Great 2nd half stats last year; with his speed, his K's will increase.
23 - Khalil Greene, StL SS - A prayer and a hope that he will come close to his potential
24 - Jose Guillen*, KC OF - already cut; currently Kyle Davies is the replacement
25 - Daniel Murphy, NYM - You will all be on the Murphy bandwagon in several months. The kid can hit, and he is sandwiched between Reyes and Wright.

All in all, I am ok with my team. I think that it is solid enough to contend. It is not a powerhouse in any one area, but seems, at least to me, well balanced. But, of course, other feedback is always welcome.

Nice breakdown. I especially liked your Murphy prediction. You will all know better soon! And nice use of the glossary on Dempster, though I don't agree he'll be fine this year. I think expecting .325 from Aviles is way too optimistic. Don't see why you need Ichiro and Hanley and I'd look to trade Suzuki. Pelfrey? Oh, you're a Mets fan. I see. Overall your team looks fine, but I'm not personally a fan of a lot of your guys -- Guillen, Pelfrey, Greene, Posada, Mags and Morneau.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

@Grey - I'm not overly fond of some of the same players you mentioned, but as many have already posted stated, the draft was difficult, and at times I found myself taking players that I was not crazy about because they seemed the best value at the time. I agree about trading Ichiro, but will wait until he becomes active and has more value - I don't think it is wise trading players on the DL. (Although I am not getting any steals yet - I know it is early in the proceedings.) And yeah, I hate to say it, but you MAY be right about Pelf. And you MAY be correct about Volquez. I hate it when you knock some of my favs, and turn out correct. And admittedly, early as it is, your guys seem to be doing uncannily well, and those you stated were risky are falling fast. But let me ask you this question: why were you high on Volk last year, and not this year? Is it the Dusty Factor? I think that he has great stuff. Funny that Haraang seems to be on track again. If the Reds got all of their starters clicking at the same time, they would have a nice staff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:14 pm 

Volquez wasn't as good as he showed last year, he was lucky and he's wild.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:43 pm 

"18 - Chris Carpenter, StL SP - My best pick in the draft."

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:46 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Well, for two starts he was!
It wasn't Carpenter's arm that gave out, it was his oblique, whatever that may be.
If I had a crystal ball, I would win my league every year.

Paulie Allnuts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:05 pm 

Of course. I took a (much later round) flier on him too, in a league where he was my, like, seventh starter. I drafted him with the expectation he'd do something just like this. Amen for the DL slot! And you're correct, it seems like a freak chance injury, not yet more arm trouble. Still, all that being said... it doesn't exactly take a crystal ball to predict a trip to the DL by Chris Carpenter. And I'll bet the oblique comes into play pretty heavily in the pitching motion. Didn't he look fantastic for two or three starts to start last year, too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:14 pm 

Oh, and Grey, I'm a little hurt that everyone else got a draft critique but me. L'Atelier de Joel Pinero's team psychologist said I needed to express my feelings more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:54 pm 

Where's your team?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next