It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 14 Team Draft Results
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 am 

Here are the results of my unnecessarily long 27 round 14 team draft. 5x5 with OPS instead of AVG and QS instead of W:

C Chris Iannetta
1B Carlos Pena
2B Kelly Johnson
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Hanley Ramirez
CI Brandon Wood
MI Sean Rodriguez
OF Jayson Werth
OF Nelson Cruz
OF Nate McLouth
OF Chris Coghlan
UTIL Garrett Jones

BN Cameron Maybin
BN Desmond Jennings

SP Cole Hamels
SP Chad Billingsley
SP James Shields
SP Ervin Santana
SP Francisco Liriano
SP Doug Davis
RP Trevor Hoffman
RP Mike Gonzalez
P Homer Bailey

BN Brandon Morrow
BN Gio Gonzalez
BN Madison Bumgarner

DL Mark Rzepczynski

My self-assessment: Really only had one pick I regretted after making it (McLouth, argh). I was targeting like 4-5 pitchers to lead my staff and they were all selected in the same round before I could grab one (Hanson, Gallardo, Kershaw, Nolasco, Cain). I settled on Hamels and Billingsley (whom I actually like this year, just not quite as much as those other guys). Offensively I might be weak in steals, but in an OPS league I wanted to try and avoid the slap hitting speedsters who are now only valuable in 2 categories instead of 3. I also have a depth issue with SP, and I'm banking on one of Santana/Liriano to step it up. But it's a 14 team league, so every team has questions.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 14 Team Draft Results
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Congratulations on Hanley. I'd like to own him one of these years before he's 40 but he went #2 in my H2H and $50 in auction. Are you worried about strikeouts? If Hanley-Zimm-Pena-Cruz-Werth are all having 35HR seasons and you jump to a lead in that category you might be able to move one/two for a 200K guy. Or is it a keeper league? In that case a Wood/Bumgardener package might be appealing. But you have some studs for a 14 team league, for certain.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6908

SP - C Hamels Darvish Moore Zimmermann Minor
RP - A Reed Lyons

CBS Roto FAAB Auction
C - Napoli 1B - Goldschmidt 2B - Profar 3B - Longoria SS - Desmond MI - Prado CI - K Johnson DH - Moreland U - Aoki
OF - Stanton Trout J Upton J Pierre D Brown
SP - Bailey Kendrick Hellickson Ryu Scherzer Wainwright Cashner Iwakuma
RP - Betancourt League C Perez Jenson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:15 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little worried about my pitching staff in general. I was targeting Sanchez to try and boost my K's but again, he went right before my pick. It happened many times. I had Ian Stewart and Napoli ready to go as well and then were drafted a few picks before I had a chance.

It is not a keeper league, I will most likely be dropping Bumgarner and picking up someone else when I get a chance. Probably the same for Jennings - not sure I want to tie up a roster spot on a kid who won't be up until September (barring injury).

Grey, are you out there? Any input?

Oh yeah, this is a rotiss league.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am 

PureBwa wrote:
Here are the results of my unnecessarily long 27 round 14 team draft. 5x5 with OPS instead of AVG and QS instead of W:

C Chris Iannetta
1B Carlos Pena
2B Kelly Johnson
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Hanley Ramirez
CI Brandon Wood
MI Sean Rodriguez
OF Jayson Werth
OF Nelson Cruz
OF Nate McLouth
OF Chris Coghlan
UTIL Garrett Jones

BN Cameron Maybin
BN Desmond Jennings

SP Cole Hamels
SP Chad Billingsley
SP James Shields
SP Ervin Santana
SP Francisco Liriano
SP Doug Davis
RP Trevor Hoffman
RP Mike Gonzalez
P Homer Bailey

BN Brandon Morrow
BN Gio Gonzalez
BN Madison Bumgarner

DL Mark Rzepczynski

My self-assessment: Really only had one pick I regretted after making it (McLouth, argh). I was targeting like 4-5 pitchers to lead my staff and they were all selected in the same round before I could grab one (Hanson, Gallardo, Kershaw, Nolasco, Cain). I settled on Hamels and Billingsley (whom I actually like this year, just not quite as much as those other guys). Offensively I might be weak in steals, but in an OPS league I wanted to try and avoid the slap hitting speedsters who are now only valuable in 2 categories instead of 3. I also have a depth issue with SP, and I'm banking on one of Santana/Liriano to step it up. But it's a 14 team league, so every team has questions.

Thoughts?

Not crazy about Shields or Davis, but you have a strong pitching staff up front. Bumgarner? Is this a keeper? I like your hitting. Coghlan's not one of my favorites and I only really like him for AVG which you don't have. Overall though, it's a solid 14 league team.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 am 

Thanks for the advice. Bumgarner was a 20-something round selection I made as I was getting frustrated about how long the draft was (14 teams, 27 rounds). He'll be dropped. Davis actually had 22 quality starts last year (we use QS instead of W), so he was another 20-something rounder that I figured I could get some value out of while I wait on other guys to pan out.

I kinda agree about Coghlan (although this league is OPS, not AVG), but that pick was more a residual effect of not being happy with McLouth and wanting another OF with a little power/speed.

I'm not sure if you meant OPS or if you just didn't notice that this is an OPS league. I think because AVG is out the window, Carlos Pena is pretty close to a guy like Adrian Gonzalez, with the only difference being I got Pena in the 5th round (pick #58) and AGonz went mid-second round. Adam Dunn, another guy who obviously benefits form OPS instead of AVG, went #29 overall. I was ecstatic about Pena being there in the 5th.