So I have my big draft tomorrow night. It's a 14 team 5x5 league with OPS instead of AVG and QS instead of W. Pujols is going first, and typically people are taking Hanley at the 2. Obviously Hanley's power/speed combo is great, but his .330 average isn't special anymore (he does still put up a pretty impressive OPS, but it's no longer tops in all of baseball like he was with his AVG).
With that said, I've begun flirting with the idea of taking A-Rod. Reasoning:
1) A full season of healthy A-Rod has the potential for 40+ HR's, 120+ RBI, 15-20 steals, 100+ R, and .975+ OPS
2) While A-Rod has battled the hip thing, he was cleared without the need for additional surgery
3) Hanley has been banged up himself, and his SB's are trending downward
4) New Yankee Stadium > Land Shark (or whatever they're calling it these days)
5) Yankees Lineup > Marlins Lineup
So what do you guys think? Is it a legit move? Or am I over-analyzing a relatively simple decision? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Flirting with what idea? Taking A-Rod 2nd? That sounds fine. I'd take Hanley, but it's not going to kill your team.