It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 18 team roto auction draft with some crazy results
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:30 am 

Standard 5x5 roto, 18 teams. $260 limit

Positions: C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OFx3,UTIL, SPx3,RPx2,Px2,Bnx5

Hey everyone,

I did my auction draft yesterday and it was really crazy. My league likes to spend on the top players. For instance, Pujols went for $61 and Lincecum went for $72, though these were due to ESPN's auto draft not doing incremental bids of $1, and instead jacking the price up by $15 at one point.

You'll also notice that I paid for Broxton. I'm not proud of this. I actually thought I was bidding on Teixeira, as the player info in ESPN's draft window didn't change to Broxton. I thought getting Teixera at $30 was freaking amazing, until Morneau went in the $40's and I had to ask what the hell was going on. Everyone laughed, I was a fool, but in a deep league I had to take solace in the fact that I have one of the sure thing closers.

SO! With all that said, I really don't think I did terribly (picks I don't like were Lilly and Niemann, because I ended up with a few extra dollars and thus could have had an Ubaldo or someone instead), but I am projected at the back of the pack. I'm sure that this is due to a lack of power. I'm trying to rectify this through trades. I mentioned trying to acquire Felix for some superfluous pitching, which would give me the flexibility to trade de la Rosa for a Hamilton or a Cruz or maybe with a reliever for Granderson or something. I took all the back ups near the end because it's a deep league, and I figured if anyone would gain value it would be those types.

Any thoughts on what I might do to get competitive would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

C: Chris Iannetta $1
1B: Joey Votto $35
2B: Brandon Phillips $30
SS: Everth Cabrera $8
3B: Ian Stewart $19
OF: Adam Jones $20
OF: Raul Ibanez $13
OF: Denard Span $15
UTIL: Nolan Reimold $8
Bench: Travis Snider $3

SP: Justin Verlander $30
SP: Jorge de la Rosa $8
SP: Kevin Slowey $3
RP: Jonathan Broxton $30
RP: Jon Rauch $5
P: Ted Lilly $7
P: Ervin Santana $1
P: Jeff Niemann $2

Bench: Jason Frasor $2
Bench: Matt Guerrier $2
Bench: Matt Lindstrom $3

Post subject: Re: 18 team roto auction draft with some crazy results
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 am 

Lava wrote:
Standard 5x5 roto, 18 teams. $260 limit

Positions: C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OFx3,UTIL, SPx3,RPx2,Px2,Bnx5

Hey everyone,

I did my auction draft yesterday and it was really crazy. My league likes to spend on the top players. For instance, Pujols went for $61 and Lincecum went for $72, though these were due to ESPN's auto draft not doing incremental bids of $1, and instead jacking the price up by $15 at one point.

You'll also notice that I paid for Broxton. I'm not proud of this. I actually thought I was bidding on Teixeira, as the player info in ESPN's draft window didn't change to Broxton. I thought getting Teixera at $30 was freaking amazing, until Morneau went in the $40's and I had to ask what the hell was going on. Everyone laughed, I was a fool, but in a deep league I had to take solace in the fact that I have one of the sure thing closers.

SO! With all that said, I really don't think I did terribly (picks I don't like were Lilly and Niemann, because I ended up with a few extra dollars and thus could have had an Ubaldo or someone instead), but I am projected at the back of the pack. I'm sure that this is due to a lack of power. I'm trying to rectify this through trades. I mentioned trying to acquire Felix for some superfluous pitching, which would give me the flexibility to trade de la Rosa for a Hamilton or a Cruz or maybe with a reliever for Granderson or something. I took all the back ups near the end because it's a deep league, and I figured if anyone would gain value it would be those types.

Any thoughts on what I might do to get competitive would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

C: Chris Iannetta $1
1B: Joey Votto $35
2B: Brandon Phillips $30
SS: Everth Cabrera $8
3B: Ian Stewart $19
OF: Adam Jones $20
OF: Raul Ibanez $13
OF: Denard Span $15
UTIL: Nolan Reimold $8
Bench: Travis Snider $3

SP: Justin Verlander $30
SP: Jorge de la Rosa $8
SP: Kevin Slowey $3
RP: Jonathan Broxton $30
RP: Jon Rauch $5
P: Ted Lilly $7
P: Ervin Santana $1
P: Jeff Niemann $2

Bench: Jason Frasor $2
Bench: Matt Guerrier $2
Bench: Matt Lindstrom $3

Considering you wasted at least twenty extra dollars on a closer, you really didn't do bad at all. It would be better if you had another 2nd tier pitcher vs. Broxton, but c'est la vie. Your staff overall isn't terrific unless Ervin produces. But I do like him, so there's that. Your hitting is very solid for an 18 team league, so well done there.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:25 am 

Good to hear!

I know a lot of the hitters I picked are guys you like (of course! It's why I picked them!), but I was worried when I saw ESPN's projections for our league putting me at 17 out of 18. I put too much stock into that, then, if you think it's solid enough.

And yeah, I guess this is case in point for why you don't pay for a top closer, as I could have had a 2nd tier pitcher AND another closer for the price he cost. I'm still blaming ESPN's software for that. Stupid Broxeira hybrid.

I guess I'll focus on trying to upgrade my pitching some. The previous trade I mentioned for Felix is taking shape. Would you include Reimold or Snider with Lilly & Lindstrom to get Felix? I know it's good value, but I'm worried about how thin my bench would be if I were to deal one of them.

Thanks as always

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 am 

Lava wrote:
Good to hear!

I know a lot of the hitters I picked are guys you like (of course! It's why I picked them!), but I was worried when I saw ESPN's projections for our league putting me at 17 out of 18. I put too much stock into that, then, if you think it's solid enough.

And yeah, I guess this is case in point for why you don't pay for a top closer, as I could have had a 2nd tier pitcher AND another closer for the price he cost. I'm still blaming ESPN's software for that. Stupid Broxeira hybrid.

I guess I'll focus on trying to upgrade my pitching some. The previous trade I mentioned for Felix is taking shape. Would you include Reimold or Snider with Lilly & Lindstrom to get Felix? I know it's good value, but I'm worried about how thin my bench would be if I were to deal one of them.

Thanks as always

I'd include Reimold or Snider, in that order.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 am 

Great, I'll pursue that.

Some of the other players and their values, for giggles sake:

Joe Mauer, Min C $63
Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS $63
Alex Rodriguez, NYY 3B $60
Chase Utley, Phi 2B $57
Ryan Braun, Mil OF $58
Matt Kemp, LAD OF $51
Justin Upton, Ari OF $47

Is this kind of pricing expected in a deep, auction league? This is the first time I've played in a league this deep. Last year it was only 14 teams, and people still payed exorbitant amounts, so it could just be my league mates like to spend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm 

No, those are exorbitant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 pm 

Ha, good to know. Some of the teams that paid (for instance, Kemp) still turned out alright, but a number of them were left with scrubs at a lot of the scarce positions. I guess it goes to show that there's more than one way to skin a draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm 

So the Felix deal fell through. I stupidly gave him time to think it over, and someone else made him a better offer.

How important do you think it is that I get a Hamels/Ubaldo or Billingsley/Baker type to round out my rotation? Any real subtractions from my offense would leave me in not so good shape, leaving me with Reimold or Snider as trade bait, along with some potential closers. Do you think trading Broxton for, say, Hamels, straight up, is too much based on what I paid for him? Hamels went for $29, so the value is similar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 pm 

I'd want Hamels over Broxton.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm 

Good to know I can escalate to that if need be. Hopefully I can get one of the others without too much loss.

So you think I should roll with c'est la vie, or try hard to acquire one of those pitchers?