It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Draft strategy help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 am 

I'm in a 6x6, 10 man, head to head snake draft tonight and looking for a little help. The two additional categories are hits and blown saves. You either win the week or lose it. You are 1-0 or 0-1 for the week not the typical win/loss for each category record.

With that said I have the 1st pick. My co-owner came up with a possible strategy of attempting to dominate the avg, runs, hits, and steals and being weak in hr and rbi by taking quality leadoff hitters. His thoughts were going: Reyes, Ichiro, and B. Roberts/Pedoria with our first 3 picks. (Note: I'm not a fan of Pedoria that high, but with hits being a category I can see his thinking)

The added category of hits and the fact that it's a winner take all for the week format makes it plausible, but I'm uncertain.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Draft strategy help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:48 am 

igno wrote:
I'm in a 6x6, 10 man, head to head snake draft tonight and looking for a little help. The two additional categories are hits and blown saves. You either win the week or lose it. You are 1-0 or 0-1 for the week not the typical win/loss for each category record.

With that said I have the 1st pick. My co-owner came up with a possible strategy of attempting to dominate the avg, runs, hits, and steals and being weak in hr and rbi by taking quality leadoff hitters. His thoughts were going: Reyes, Ichiro, and B. Roberts/Pedoria with our first 3 picks. (Note: I'm not a fan of Pedoria that high, but with hits being a category I can see his thinking)

The added category of hits and the fact that it's a winner take all for the week format makes it plausible, but I'm uncertain.

Any thoughts?

Hits and average are too tied together and shouldn't both be used, but since they are I think it's a good strategy. If your leaguemates are going to make a league that is exploitable, you should exploit it. You're liable to win RBIs some weeks too without even trying.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:01 am 

Who do you suggest my top 3 picks should be? Reyes, Ichiro, Pedroia?

And if we do take that Strategy. Can you throw out some other guys you suggest for later rounds?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am 

Go all speed/average/top of the lineup guys -- Reyes, Ichiro, Pedroia, Upton, Theriot, K. Johnson, Milledge, Jeter, Damon, Furcal, Span, Gomez, Mauer, Polanco, Spillborghs, etc.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 am 

Taveras? Or too much liability with the average to ruin this strategy?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 am 

Like you said, seems like he would be a late flier with the average being a potential liability.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm 

Here are the results from the draft. Where do I need to improve? Corners are tough when trying to target hits,avg,run,sb. I've never played in a league that is 6x6 and has hits. It really changed things. I left the pitchers in there because it was just easier to copy and paste.

1. (1) José Reyes
2. (20) Ichiro Suzuki
3. (21) Brian Roberts
4. (40) Shane Victorino
5. (41) Carl Crawford
6. (60) Rafael Furcal
7. (61) Dan Haren
8. (80) Joey Votto
9. (81) Chris Davis
10. (100) James Shields
11. (101) Yovani Gallardo
12. (120) Jonathan Broxton
13. (121) Johnny Damon
14. (140) Javier Vázquez
15. (141) Ryan Doumit
16. (160) Chris Young (SD pitcher)
17. (161) Heath Bell
18. (180) Ryan Theriot
19. (181) Chad Qualls
20. (200) Brandon Morrow
21. (201) Joey Devine
22. (220) Jordan Zimmermann
23. (221) Melvin Mora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 pm 

igno wrote:
Here are the results from the draft. Where do I need to improve? Corners are tough when trying to target hits,avg,run,sb. I've never played in a league that is 6x6 and has hits. It really changed things. I left the pitchers in there because it was just easier to copy and paste.

1. (1) José Reyes
2. (20) Ichiro Suzuki
3. (21) Brian Roberts
4. (40) Shane Victorino
5. (41) Carl Crawford
6. (60) Rafael Furcal
7. (61) Dan Haren
8. (80) Joey Votto
9. (81) Chris Davis
10. (100) James Shields
11. (101) Yovani Gallardo
12. (120) Jonathan Broxton
13. (121) Johnny Damon
14. (140) Javier Vázquez
15. (141) Ryan Doumit
16. (160) Chris Young (SD pitcher)
17. (161) Heath Bell
18. (180) Ryan Theriot
19. (181) Chad Qualls
20. (200) Brandon Morrow
21. (201) Joey Devine
22. (220) Jordan Zimmermann
23. (221) Melvin Mora

Wow, you were really able to execute your plan. Nicely done. I'd even try to move Davis and see if you can get an upgrade somewhere else since you don't really need power and he might be a liability on average. If you're going to, the sooner the better because his hype won't be higher than it is right now. Though your league may not be as hyped on him since you were able to get him so late. Great pitching staff too. You probably could get away with just Gallardo and Haren, but I don't mind Shields when you're getting him that late in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm 

Grey,

I'm replying to a thread from last year I started around draft time because I'm in the same league as explained from my original post except for one change. After successfully executing our plan with your sage advice we completely domintated this league and they changed the hits category.

This year it's still a 6x6, 10 man, the two additional categories are total bases and blown saves. You either win the week or lose it. You are 1-0 or 0-1 for the week.

Any advice for strategy to exploit this type of scoring? Total bases seems like a much more balanced category than hits, but it's a category I've never played with in the past.

Also, I have the 4th pick. I'm guessing the top 3 will be Pujols, Hanley, and Mauer. The league is primarily composed of Minnesota residents. We are debating taking Utley or A-rod and position scarcity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 pm 

igno wrote:
Grey,

I'm replying to a thread from last year I started around draft time because I'm in the same league as explained from my original post except for one change. After successfully executing our plan with your sage advice we completely domintated this league and they changed the hits category.

This year it's still a 6x6, 10 man, the two additional categories are total bases and blown saves. You either win the week or lose it. You are 1-0 or 0-1 for the week.

Any advice for strategy to exploit this type of scoring? Total bases seems like a much more balanced category than hits, but it's a category I've never played with in the past.

Also, I have the 4th pick. I'm guessing the top 3 will be Pujols, Hanley, and Mauer. The league is primarily composed of Minnesota residents. We are debating taking Utley or A-rod and position scarcity.

re; TB -- Power guys move up, slap hitters move down. I'd take Utley then A-Rod.

re: Blown Saves -- They're fluky. Just stay away from middle relievers.