It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Steve's first draft of '09
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OK - so I'm not getting any joy at MDC (by that I mean I still can't access it - not that they didn't try to help!), so popped over to Couchmanagers for a quick 12-teamer. 18 rounds - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, P x 5, 4 x Bench spots (I treated bench spots as 3 RP slots and 1 bench spot).

My draft below. Pretty much off the top of my head - how'd I do? Ichiro and Lowell picks were auto as I took too long! Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look...

EDIT: It was about half real drafters, half computer picks.

1.10 Mark Teixeira 1B SteveL
2.15 Matt Holliday OF SteveL
3.34 Ichiro Suzuki OF SteveL
4.39 Vladimir Guerrero OF SteveL
5.58 Alexei Ramirez 2B SteveL
6.63 Kevin Youkilis 1B SteveL
7.82 John Lackey SP SteveL
8.87 Chris Davis 1B SteveL
9.106 Jose Valverde RP SteveL
10.111 Adam Wainwright SP SteveL
11.130 Matt Cain SP SteveL
12.135 Brian Fuentes RP SteveL
13.154 Javier Vazquez SP SteveL
14.159 Pablo Sandoval 1B SteveL
15.178 Erik Bedard SP SteveL
16.183 Mike Lowell 3B SteveL
17.202 Heath Bell RP SteveL
18.207 Clint Barmes SS SteveL

Post subject: Re: Steve's first draft of '09
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:46 pm 

Steve wrote:
5.58 Alexei Ramirez 2B SteveL
7.82 John Lackey SP SteveL
8.87 Chris Davis 1B SteveL
9.106 Jose Valverde RP SteveL
10.111 Adam Wainwright SP SteveL
11.130 Matt Cain SP SteveL
12.135 Brian Fuentes RP SteveL
13.154 Javier Vazquez SP SteveL
14.159 Pablo Sandoval 1B SteveL
15.178 Erik Bedard SP SteveL
16.183 Mike Lowell 3B SteveL
17.202 Heath Bell RP SteveL
18.207 Clint Barmes SS SteveL

Going it alone, huh, Steve?

Gotta say, this team is solid. I like that you treated bench as RP. You won't be hurting for Runs, RBIs or average. You probably will come up a little short on HRs and that's usually the hardest thing to get during the season. Sandoval's a definite wild card for power. I think your staff is great. I love Wainwright, Lackey, Cain, Vazquez and Bedard -- especially as separate pieces. All on the same team? You're probably going to come up short on Wins, but those are hard. Overall, well done.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Thanks - a little light on speed too, perhaps?

Last edited by Steve on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:53 pm 

Steve wrote:
Thanks - a little light on speed too, perhaps?

Holliday's a bit of a wild card there, but you're right you'll be a bit pokey. You can always grab some schmohawk SAGNOF'er midseason though.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:43 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Why (mock) wait til midseason for some speed? I just (mock) dumped Mike Lowell and (mock) raced to the (mock) waiver wire and (mock) grabbed Willie T.

HR-wise, I was about to grab Reynolds when the clock ran out and I was 'awarded' Lowell. Jack C, not surprisingly, went undrafted (amazing the guys that do in a 12-team, 18-man roster draft). Should he even be drafted?

What's your take on him? Do his HRs represent great value (depending on your existing roster of course) or is he just an unsustainable drain on your AVE?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am 

Quote:
Why (mock) wait til midseason for some speed? I just (mock) dumped Mike Lowell and (mock) raced to the (mock) waiver wire and (mock) grabbed Willie T.
Cause steals are one of the categories you can make up real fast. Say Bourn's having an awful 2009, just sitting on waivers in July/August. You really need steals, so you take a flier on him and he gets 15 steals in August/September. It's similar with saves. You can make ground in both categories very fast.

Quote:
HR-wise, I was about to grab Reynolds when the clock ran out and I was 'awarded' Lowell. Jack C, not surprisingly, went undrafted (amazing the guys that do in a 12-team, 18-man roster draft). Should he even be drafted?

What's your take on him? Do his HRs represent great value (depending on your existing roster of course) or is he just an unsustainable drain on your AVE?
Reynolds might have been a bit more interesting of an upside pick. Cust is not worth the effort in any league. Cust is about to turn 30 and he's never hit above 33 HRs in the majors. Dunn's only worth it b/c he's younger and he hits 40 HRs every year. (Reynolds is young and has some upside, that makes him attractive.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:13 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Where do you see Dunn? 6th round or so in a 12-teamer?

I've never gone near him in the past because of his average, but as a result of your teachings, I've come to see him as a relentless 40-HR-a-year guy that's well worth having.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:22 pm 

Yeah, he'd be decent value around there. He's only right on certain teams though. This particular mock team he would've been great on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:24 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Meaning you'd need to have drafted plenty of AVE-strong guys already?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm 

Yeah, and you have...

All solid to high average guys.