OF Willy Taveras COL R15
SP Francisco Liriano MIN R7
SP Rich Harden CHC R8
SP Jon Lester BOS R10
SP Zack Greinke KC R11
RP Clayton Kershaw LA R12
RP Joey Devine OAK R17
RP Armando Galarraga DET R19

this was the team that i drafted last week , over @ mock draft central .
sorry that it took so long to post to this forum , but i had to wait for my kid to come visit and show me how to do it .
although i have participated in many mocks over @ couchmanagers.com this year , my lack of familiarity with draftcentral's site posed a bit of a problem.
to begin , it took me a few moments to realize that they were still working off of last year's rankings.
secondly , when looking for closers, i discovered that none of the usual suspects were listed . instead , there were only relief pitchers of such insignifance that i had never even heard of some of them .
my quick plan of action was then to manually queue soria and devine , focus on hitters and plan to do a trade , later .
one of the benefits of jumping into the #5 spot was avoiding the whole hanley's shoulder thing , and focusing on building my team around 3 points : reyes , a big re-bound year for blalock , and the arrival of pablo sandoval .
knowing that i could leave blalock til late , my only other concern was the rising popularity of pablo .
the scarcity of premium outfielders this year will be the key focal point of my drafts , but i must say i was a bit surprised at how soon they flew off the board here . (hence ordonez in round 3 ).
all in all , i feel i did alright here.
having blalock (and pablo) eligible (in most leagues) at 1st and 3rd will allow me some movement on the trade front , perhaps making up for the fact that i got sniped on soria .
oh , and blalock went a lot earlier due to the 2008 rankings
in use . .. i expect to pick him up almost last this year .

Post subject: Re: big o 's team .... mock draft
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 am 

big o wrote:
Final Roster
Pos Name Team Pick
C Dioner Navarro TB R20
1B Joey Votto CIN R9
1B Hank Blalock TEX R16
1B Pablo Sandoval SF R18 2B Alexei Ramirez CHW R4 P11
SS Jose Reyes NYM R1 P5
3B Edwin Encarnacion CIN R14
OF Carlos Lee HOU R2 P11
OF Magglio Ordonez DET R3 P5
OF Shane Victorino PHI R5
OF Matt Kemp LA R6
OF Xavier Nady NYY R13
OF Willy Taveras COL R15
SP Francisco Liriano MIN R7
SP Rich Harden CHC R8
SP Jon Lester BOS R10
SP Zack Greinke KC R11
RP Clayton Kershaw LA R12
RP Joey Devine OAK R17
RP Armando Galarraga DET R19

this was the team that i drafted last week , over @ mock draft central .
sorry that it took so long to post to this forum , but i had to wait for my kid to come visit and show me how to do it .
although i have participated in many mocks over @ couchmanagers.com this year , my lack of familiarity with draftcentral's site posed a bit of a problem.
to begin , it took me a few moments to realize that they were still working off of last year's rankings.
secondly , when looking for closers, i discovered that none of the usual suspects were listed . instead , there were only relief pitchers of such insignifance that i had never even heard of some of them .
my quick plan of action was then to manually queue soria and devine , focus on hitters and plan to do a trade , later .
one of the benefits of jumping into the #5 spot was avoiding the whole hanley's shoulder thing , and focusing on building my team around 3 points : reyes , a big re-bound year for blalock , and the arrival of pablo sandoval .
knowing that i could leave blalock til late , my only other concern was the rising popularity of pablo .
the scarcity of premium outfielders this year will be the key focal point of my drafts , but i must say i was a bit surprised at how soon they flew off the board here . (hence ordonez in round 3 ).
all in all , i feel i did alright here.
having blalock (and pablo) eligible (in most leagues) at 1st and 3rd will allow me some movement on the trade front , perhaps making up for the fact that i got sniped on soria .
oh , and blalock went a lot earlier due to the 2008 rankings
in use . .. i expect to pick him up almost last this year .

Your team's very solid. I would not mind going to battle with them at all. They look like a top three team depending on in-season managing and breaks. Other readers looking in, "But, Grey, he's got hardly any reliable pitching?" Yeah, so what? He's got some upside guys and, as I preach, pitching is readily available after drafting. Cliff Lee in 2008 is one extreme example. This team above is rock solid on hitting and has upside pitchers. If two of them come through (Liriano and Greinke), then you can easily find two more starters on waivers during the season. Re: closers -- You can punt closers in a draft and still be fine. Devine's going to be great, and even if he isn't, closers are a dime a dozen -- SAGNOF. Nice mock draft, man. Well played.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying to ever punt closers for the whole season. Just out of a draft, you could be fine with hustle on the waiver wire.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

This is what I said in the comments of the draft. It's a very solid team... Huge value here. I'm looking forward to many more mock (mock) drafts before my real drafts start in late January.

I think we should do some Razzball sponsored mock drafts soon. Whatchathink?

I'm buying the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN
Stanton, Giancarlo(OF) MIA

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Liriano, Francisco(SP) PIT
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:24 am 

If you're buying the ice cream, then we should be able to work something out. Let me know what you're thinking.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Grey wrote:
If you're buying the ice cream, then we should be able to work something out. Let me know what you're thinking.

I don't do the thinking. I come to Razzball to let you do the thinking for me. (Is it wrong to FedEx ice cream?)

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN
Stanton, Giancarlo(OF) MIA

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Liriano, Francisco(SP) PIT
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:22 am 

You can Fed Ex ice cream, whether it would get here in eating condition is another matter.