It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Trade Hitting for Pitching in H2H Keeper?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 am 

In my 12-team H2H 5x5 keeper, I am currently tied for 1st in my division at 10-8 where the 3rd place team is 9-7. I am worried about my pitching as I traded 3 of my top starters in a deal for Nick Markakis. I trot out relievers as my pitchers because the league is full of streamers and I have no shot to win W/K's, so I aim to win ERA/WHIP/Saves instead. However, lately my RPs have struggled or I traded some away for offense. Generally, my strategy is I rely on my offense to carry my team in H2H. My roster is such:

C Kelly Shoppach
1B Prince Fielder
2b Brian Roberts
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B Jorge Cantu
OF Alfonso Soriano
OF Nick Markakis
OF Corey Hart
U Mark Teixiera
U Stephen Drew/Ryan Zimmerman

Bench: Rickie Weeks, Jeff Kent, Jose Lopez, Josh Willingham, Luke Scott, Cody Ross

We start 8 pitchers: Grant Balfour, Octavio Dotel, Carlos Marmol, Mike Gonzalez, Rafael Perez, Fernando Rodney, Aaron Heilman, Jon Rauch
Starters: Chad Billingsley, Francisco Liriano, Johnny Cueto, Joe Saunders, Todd Wellemeyer

As you can see, I traded A LOT of my pitchers away. I fear that this will come back and bite me in the ass come stretch run if my relievers suck or my starters have poor starts.

Anyway, I am debating a trade to net me top starters at the sacrifice of my offense. I am trying to get Johan Santana and Cole Hamels. Is this a smart idea? I proposed to receive:

·Hamels, Cole SP PHI
·Santana, Johan SP NYM
·Pena, Carlos 1B TB
·Wells, Vernon CF TOR

For:

·Hart, Corey C. RF MIL
·Roberts, Brian 2B BAL
·Teixeira, Mark 1B ANA

He countered with Scott Kazmir instead of Johan.
What to do? Is this too big of a hit on offense judging by my current roster?

Thank you so much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Trade Hitting for Pitching in H2H Keeper?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 am 

Scarlett Johansson wrote:
In my 12-team H2H 5x5 keeper, I am currently tied for 1st in my division at 10-8 where the 3rd place team is 9-7. I am worried about my pitching as I traded 3 of my top starters in a deal for Nick Markakis. I trot out relievers as my pitchers because the league is full of streamers and I have no shot to win W/K's, so I aim to win ERA/WHIP/Saves instead. However, lately my RPs have struggled or I traded some away for offense. Generally, my strategy is I rely on my offense to carry my team in H2H. My roster is such:

C Kelly Shoppach
1B Prince Fielder
2b Brian Roberts
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B Jorge Cantu
OF Alfonso Soriano
OF Nick Markakis
OF Corey Hart
U Mark Teixiera
U Stephen Drew/Ryan Zimmerman

Bench: Rickie Weeks, Jeff Kent, Jose Lopez, Josh Willingham, Luke Scott, Cody Ross

We start 8 pitchers: Grant Balfour, Octavio Dotel, Carlos Marmol, Mike Gonzalez, Rafael Perez, Fernando Rodney, Aaron Heilman, Jon Rauch
Starters: Chad Billingsley, Francisco Liriano, Johnny Cueto, Joe Saunders, Todd Wellemeyer

As you can see, I traded A LOT of my pitchers away. I fear that this will come back and bite me in the ass come stretch run if my relievers suck or my starters have poor starts.

Anyway, I am debating a trade to net me top starters at the sacrifice of my offense. I am trying to get Johan Santana and Cole Hamels. Is this a smart idea? I proposed to receive:

·Hamels, Cole SP PHI
·Santana, Johan SP NYM
·Pena, Carlos 1B TB
·Wells, Vernon CF TOR

For:

·Hart, Corey C. RF MIL
·Roberts, Brian 2B BAL
·Teixeira, Mark 1B ANA

He countered with Scott Kazmir instead of Johan.
What to do? Is this too big of a hit on offense judging by my current roster?

Thank you so much in advance!

First, I really hope you're not trotting Zimmerman out there.

Second, I don't like trading for pitching.

Third, your first deal is very solid in your favor. I would even do that. I wouldn't do it if Kazmir was subbed in for Johan. No way. If he doesn't want to part with Johan, change the deal to Hamels and Pena for Tex and Roberts or Hart. That's still fair and it addresses your problems. (Which I think you might be blowing out of proportion. Your team isn't that strong on pitching, but it's not terrible. You are missing saves though, which is weird since you have a bunch of relievers.)

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:35 am 

Thanks.

1st - I usually rotate my 2nd Utility spot based on who's hot. Right now it's Stephen Drew.

2nd - The guy likely won't part with both Hamels and Santana, so I doubt that deal will get done. I told him I needed Santana in a deal if I am to give up a big power bat. I may turn that deal around to the Hamels/Pena one you mentioned.

Once again, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:13 am 

The deal on the table is now

Kazmir, Hamels, Vernon Wells, Carlos Pena and Mark DeRosa for
Mark Teixiera, Nick Markakis and Brian Roberts.

I do not want to trade MArkakis whatsoever. Would you do this if I substituted Hart for Markakis?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 am 

The deal on the table is now

Kazmir, Hamels, Vernon Wells, Carlos Pena and Mark DeRosa for
Mark Teixiera, Nick Markakis and Brian Roberts.

I do not want to trade MArkakis whatsoever. Would you do this if I substituted Hart for Markakis?

No, I wouldn't do this deal or Tex, Hart and Roberts for those guys. I would do Roberts and Tex for Hamels and Pena or Hart and Tex for Hamels and Pena.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 am 

Awesome;t hanks. I thought it was too much offense...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 am 

I actually wound up making a trade. I held out for both Kazmir + Hamels, and I didn't have to include as much offense as I thought I would.

I traded away all of the saves I had left...

Tex + Corey Hart + Mike Gonzalez + Fernando Rodney + Grant Balfour

for

Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Vernon Wells + Carlos Pena

I take a big hit in offense and lose the remaining saves I have, but I need the starting pitching to compete.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 am 

I actually wound up making a trade. I held out for both Kazmir + Hamels, and I didn't have to include as much offense as I thought I would.

I traded away all of the saves I had left...

Tex + Corey Hart + Mike Gonzalez + Fernando Rodney + Grant Balfour

for

Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Vernon Wells + Carlos Pena

I take a big hit in offense and lose the remaining saves I have, but I need the starting pitching to compete.

Thoughts?

That ended up being a solid trade for you. Any time you can trade away closers (especially of that level), you're doing pretty good. Now you should try and grab some potential closers to vulture for some saves.