It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Trade Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:49 pm 

I (the commissioner of the league) was camping from friday afternoon - sunday morning. I turn my phone on to check messages. got a call from one league member asking me to veto the trade he just made (they all go through me instead of a league vote so it's faster). He just accepted Jay Bruce and Nate McLouth for Johnny Damon (dropping Joe Saunders). Jay Bruce is now injured. He doesn't want the trade to go through. So i figured the trade was proposed before the injury, accepted after. I get home today and see the email that i got at 6:46 saturday evening saying the trade was accepted. The game started at 7:10 saturday, and Bruce got injured in the 1st inning.

So the trade was accepted before the injury, but since I was not home, or near any type of computer for that matter, i couldn't put it through. I guess I have to put the trade through because if i were home, the trade could have been put through immediately. But I got a couple days to think about it with the ASB. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other possible solutions. I still think Damon for McLouth isn't bad anyway, so it's less a question of fairness to the rest of the league, just don't want to set a precedent for something bigger.

Post subject: Re: Trade Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:11 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Yeah, the trade goes through. Really no question. I'm not even sure how he could have made any argument that the trade shouldn't go through... he's the one who accepted it. That he accepted it before and not after Bruce's injury shouldn't even make any difference. This is not the classic situation of someone leaving a trade offer open and the other person accepts the trade after one of the players the other person is giving got injured after the offer was made because it was the person getting the injured players who hit "accept."

The more I write about it the more it angers me. This guy tried to trick you into thinking that he deserved a mulligan. Not cool.

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:56 pm 

royce! wrote:
Yeah, the trade goes through. Really no question. I'm not even sure how he could have made any argument that the trade shouldn't go through... he's the one who accepted it. That he accepted it before and not after Bruce's injury shouldn't even make any difference. This is not the classic situation of someone leaving a trade offer open and the other person accepts the trade after one of the players the other person is giving got injured after the offer was made because it was the person getting the injured players who hit "accept."

The more I write about it the more it angers me. This guy tried to trick you into thinking that he deserved a mulligan. Not cool.

there was a previous incident where this same person was trading for Pedrioa. The guy that offered him Pedrioa in a trade was going to use DeRosa to fill in at 2B. the trade offer was open for a few days, DeRosa got hurt, then he accepted the trade before DeRosa's manager could pull the trade back off. This manager was left without a 2B, and argued that he didn't have time to pull the trade back off. Similar to the case you provided, but still not the same. As we were discussing what to do with the trade, i traded him Zobrist, so his interest in contesting the trade went away.

the new Jay Bruce owner felt that it was a similar situation. he felt he was getting screwed in the Pedrioa deal because DeRosa wasn't in it, so his injury shouldn't affect the trade. And if i was looking into taking that trade back, i had to look into taking his trade back because i hadn't put it through yet. i agree to an extent, because DeRosa wasn't directly involved in the trade. However, if i was near a computer at the time the trade was accepted, then the trade would have gone through before he even got hurt, so i have to put it through.

I think a lot of it is just shock that a dude gets hurt, literally, 20 minutes after being traded. I've never seen that before. The timestamp on the email says 6:56. The game started at 7:10, and the box score on yahoo says he left the game in the bottom of the 1st with a wrist injury. 20 minutes, 25 at the most after the trade was accepted. Most trading usually takes place, at least in my experience, at night after games, or during the afternoon. I really don't understand why someone would want to pull the trigger on a trade right before a game starts, knowing that they won't get the player until the next day, and in this case (because i was camping for the weekend) the trade wouldn't affect any lineups until after the ASB when play resumes, which was 5 days from the time of the trade. I said Nate McLouth > Damon anyway, and he has an open DL slot too, so i wouldn't be too concerned. Then i started to wonder why i hadn't made an offer for Bruce and/or McLouth before, and how this guy is in 3rd place. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:36 am 

You are doing the right thing. It's all about intent and timing. Definitely gamesmanship going on here by this owner but it is certainly a huge blow to his team.

C- Wieters
1B- Cabrera
2B- Cuddyer
SS- Hanley
3B- Beltre
CI: Ike Davis
MI: Andrus
LF- Tabata
CF- BJ Upton
RF- De Aza
UTIL- Maybin
UTIL-Lind