It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Trading questions for Grey and others: Dump Trading
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:29 pm 

I posted a question earlier regarding two alternate trades, both of which are objectively bad. The responses I received, including from Grey, whose opinion I greatly respect, were "These are bad trades." They were both dump trades - I am dumping talent to get back something in return in a keeper league. I may have not indicated it was a keeper league, but thought it was implied. In any event, we are talking a keeper league dump trade.

Is the offer of Choo, Jay Bruce, and Kenley Jansen for a $1 Edward Mujica and a $10 Nolan Arenado (10 team NL only) an objectively bad trade? Yes, but if I do nothing, then I will lose Choo, Bruce and Jansen at the end of 2013 and get nothing in return.

It is July - in a 10 team league, with prizes for 1st-3rd, there might be 5 teams contending for $$, each having its own needs - one team may need steals, another HRs, another saves. But they each know who the other contenders are and are not going to pay much, if anything, for unneeded talent. They got to the top because they are riding the Starling Martes and Edward Mujicas of the world.

So those of us in 8th, who do not have a sniff at the top this year, evaluate and believe it is best to play for next year. And the trade offers are typically "I will give you one good salary player for two or three high salary or expiring contract players" - e.g., Choo at $40 and Bruce (expiring at the end of 2013) for a $3 Pedro Alvarez. Great trade? No. But not much better is or will be offered. Demand is very specific, and supply is spotty.

Am I wrong? Should I hold on to Choo and Bruce and just forfeit them at the end of the year? Or hope for a better offer? Once we get into August, a move in the standings resulting from Kenley Jansen will not be as significant as it would be were he acquired in early July. Thus I would argue these players will command less as time goes on - diminishing asset, if you will.

I believe I should not be like the Lakers losing Dwight Howard and getting nothing in return - I should sign Dwight Howard and trade him for a couple of low level players.

With that in mind, which trade do you like better, knowing that they both suck:

[NL Only, Keeper, $260 budget, 10 owners, roto]

Trade A

Choo $40
Jay Bruce, expiring end of 2013
Kenley Jansen, expiring end of 2013

for

$1 Edward Mujica (for 2014 and 2015)
$10 Nolan Arenado (for 2014-2016)

Trade B

Choo, $40
Jay Bruce, expiring end of 2013

for

$1 Andrelton Simmons
$2 Rymer Liriano

If you really, honestly would not do either trade, please explain to me the thinking. I genuinely want to understand the thought process.

TO'T

Post subject: Re: Trading questions for Grey and others: Dump Trading
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:40 pm 

Get better pieces for the future...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.