It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Crowdsourcing - Trout/Walker for Stras/Stanton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm 

This trade has some big names, and us Razzball writers love input too! Ready to ruminate?

Advanced 20 Team H2H.
240-Man rosters. (40-man MLB roster, 200-man MiLB roster.) 115$ million cap.
2 C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 5 OF, 2 U - 5 SP, 5 P + 15 Bench spots.
Cat's: OBP, TB, R, RBI, SB / ERA, K-BB, W+QS, 2*S+H

Which side do you want to be on?

Name - Tm - Salary - End of Contract
Team 1 Sends:
Zimmermann, Jordan SP WAS -- 8.500m 2014
Trout, Mike OF LAA -- 0.600m 2017*
Smoak, Justin 1B SEA -- 3.200m 2015
Walker, Taijuan SP SEA -- MLC**
2013 1st Round FYPD Pick (Pick #16)

Team 2 Sends:
Strasburg, Stephen SP WAS -- 14.500m 2016
Stanton, Giancarlo OF MIA -- 14.900m 2016
Dunn, Adam 1B CHW -- 1.800m 2013
Cashner, Andrew RP SD -- 0.700m 2015
Westmoreland, Ryan OF BOS -- MLC**

*Escalating Rookie Contract. (0.600 in 2013 raises each year to 5.400m in 2017)
**Minor League Contract. Will change into an Escalating Rookie Contract when Rookie Eligibility lost or player is called up to the roster.

Post subject: Re: Crowdsourcing - Trout/Walker for Stras/Stanton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm 

Give me team 2. Team 1 is getting some solid player outside of Trout but nothing I would consider great. As for Trout, I am one of the skeptics. I have seen too many rookies take a step back the second year and I wouldn't be surprised if Trout falls back further than people think. His numbers last year were historic and unlikely to be repeated and then add some regression to that and I won't be investing in him this year.

Team 2 is full of guys that you are pretty sure you know what they are going to get and most of it is really good and Strasburg could easily be great this year. Love getting Dunn over Smoak, tough losing Walker but Westmoreland is solid.

The only thing I am not adding to the equation is the salary. Too different of a pay system to really be able to understand what the values are and then way too much going on in the trade as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm 

Its an interesting point. You'll see a lot of folks out there touting that he 'was only 20' and will expect even higher offensive output. With his BABIP, it just isn't possible. The concept of 'regression to the mean' applies to all baseball players equally, no matter how awesome they are.

To put the financials in context:
-The league average salary is 90.000m, with 25.000m cap space.
-Post trade, Team 1 would have a salary of 86.200m, with 28.800m cap space.
-Post trade, Team 2 would have a salary of 68.000m, with 47.000m cap space.

Top Free Agents, Batters: Cano, Teixeira, Rios, Crawford, Cruz N., Suzuki, Howard, Konerko, Jeter, Gardner
Top Free Agents, Pitchers: Kershaw, Peavy, Rodney, Estrada, Pettitte, Rivera, Lohse, Hammel, McDonald

Mauddib wrote:
Give me team 2. Team 1 is getting some solid player outside of Trout but nothing I would consider great. As for Trout, I am one of the skeptics. I have seen too many rookies take a step back the second year and I wouldn't be surprised if Trout falls back further than people think. His numbers last year were historic and unlikely to be repeated and then add some regression to that and I won't be investing in him this year.

Team 2 is full of guys that you are pretty sure you know what they are going to get and most of it is really good and Strasburg could easily be great this year. Love getting Dunn over Smoak, tough losing Walker but Westmoreland is solid.

The only thing I am not adding to the equation is the salary. Too different of a pay system to really be able to understand what the values are and then way too much going on in the trade as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm 

I realize I made a mistake in the last post. I didn't see that you said each team was sending and I thought each team was getting those guys. So first post I liked what teamwas getting, a bunch of really good players with very little downside.

Knowing the salary cap makes me kind of like team 2 who Would have an advantage going into the draft with that much cap space.

Very close deal. Still would probably take what team 1 is getting first but if I was team 2 I would be pretty happy as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm 

With all that loose cap, the owner would have a real good chance to sign both Kershaw and Cano...

Trout's contract and years of control are ridiculous. So would be Walker's.

Mauddib wrote:
I realize I made a mistake in the last post. I didn't see that you said each team was sending and I thought each team was getting those guys. So first post I liked what teamwas getting, a bunch of really good players with very little downside.

Knowing the salary cap makes me kind of like team 2 who Would have an advantage going into the draft with that much cap space.

Very close deal. Still would probably take what team 1 is getting first but if I was team 2 I would be pretty happy as well.