It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: "Handcuffs"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 pm 

Can I get some feedback on the whole need to draft handcuffs? I don't entirely get it. Say I draft LT in the 1st round. The 6th or 7th round rolls around and Sproles is still there (or wherever he is typically going). At this point, I still want to take the best available back, whether he is my handcuff or not. So can someone tell me why handcuffing is so important, rather than just taking the best guy available?

Post subject: Re: "Handcuffs"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:03 am 

A handcuff is someone who will step into the starters role if your actual starter goes down. The best available RB at the time when you could draft Sproles will not get as much playing time if LT goes down.

For example...
It's round 7, and you already have 2 RB, now you want to draft another RB - but this is for your bench. What's better on your bench? Your handcuff, or some player who will get some touches, but not many, every game. The only time you'll use that bench player is either due to injury to LT, or because of a bye week. Now say LT gets injured, and is out 3 weeks. Who do you want to sub in? A guy in a RBBC? Or a guy with the full starters gig? I think you'd take the latter...

Post subject: Re: "Handcuffs"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Well said marcheese. I usually don't reach for handcuffs, but I try to get them. Especially with players I am worried about injury wise.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...