It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Draft Strategy for Non-Standard Scoring Leagues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 pm 

I'm in a wonky scoring 12-team league (see below) and has playoffs WK 15-17. QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, TE, WR/RB, K, DEF, IDP

I know there perceived great depth at QB, but chuckers severely outscore scramblers on the whole. So looking at the top 12 ranked QBs put up last year in this league (RG3, Kaep i think are the only ones not to start all 16 games)

Rodgers - 891.65, Brees - 955.58, Brady - 899.78, Cam - 751.66, RG III - 723.00, R. Wilson - 657.12, Ryan - 876.86, P. Manning - 878.46, Kaep - 376.56, Luck - 751.96, Stafford - 833.93, Romo - 849.97

I drafted Brees 1rd 6th overall and had an immediate advantage every week also noting the Saints won't be resting Brees wk17. But as this league is skewed towards throwing QB's it also places an emphasis on RB's over WR's. So the question is do I hope to grab value in Romo or Stafford later and come out of the first 3 Rds w/ 2 RB and 1 WR, or use one of the early rounds to secure a good QB noting that there is usually a run on QB's? If I can wait Rd 4 seems like a good pocket to grab a TE (Gronk seems to good to pass on there if not then TGonz/Witten). I also noticed it pays to identify which players are going to see playing time and have KR/PR duties. I grabbed Cobb in Rd 10 last year and was the top scoring WR until he sat out wk 17. I'm thinking Jacoby Jones isn't going to do the same thing, but could way outperform his ADP in this league. Anyone else have any input on how to approach this?

Scoring
Completions 1
Passing Yards 25 yards per point; 5 points at 300 yards
Passing Touchdowns 7
Interceptions -2
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 5 points at 100 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 7
Receptions 1
Reception Yards 20 yards per point; 5 points at 100 yards
Reception Touchdowns 7
Return Yards 25 yards per point; 5 points at 100 yards
Return Touchdowns 7
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 7

Post subject: Re: Draft Strategy for Non-Standard Scoring Leagues
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am 

Romo scored only 100 less then Brees and he's up for grabs around the 6th or 7th round. That's why it pays to wait. QBs outscore RBs every year nowadays, it shouldn't change your draft process because there will be less viable starting RBs in the 5th round then there are viable QBs.

And in the end, you can't predict draft outcomes or variances. You have to draft to know how to draft. If QBs start going early and the one's you've tabbed start going earlier then they should, then you should grab one then. In a perfect world, you leave the first 6 rounds with 3 RB, 2 WR, and Gronk and then get Romo to fall to you but if your league goes QB heavy early, you might have to change course. Would still want to leave the first 3 rounds with 2 RB, though.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.