It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Being the LM is crap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm 

A question regarding league management:

We did our auction draft in person, lots of beer was consumed. A couple managers wound up going $1 over the $200 budget. I asked the league what we should do and got no response. I suggested those teams to drop a player to get under cap, but it was ignored. I did not want to be heavy handed and use LM powers to kick a guy from their rosters. Now it's too late for messing with them.

One suggestion from an offending owner was to take the dollar out of their FAAB. To me, a 5 dollar FAAB fine ($100 pool) is more appropriate. This is based on the hypothetical "would you rather have an extra $20 at draft time or an FAAB budget (5:1 conversion)." To me it's a close call, I'd probably rather have the initial auction budget. I asked another manager and he would take the extra auction money in a heartbeat. In this league waivers/FA do not open until after week 1.

I fully realize that I fucked this up by not acting on it sooner. I did not want to be league manager, it's forced on whoever won last season. Constructive ideas are appreciated.

10 team 5x5

C: Miguel Montero
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Robinson Cano
SS: Jean Segura
3B: Chase Headley
2B/SS: Jedd Gyorko
1B/3B: Anthony Rizzo
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Wil Myers
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Kole Calhoun
UTIL: Jose Abreu
BN: Christian Yelich

P: Jose Fernandez
P: Alex Cobb
P: Danny Salazar
P: Justin Masterson
P: Francisco Liriano
P: Johnny Cueto
P: Trevor Rosenthal
P: Francisco Rodriguez
P: Sergio Santos
BN: Taijuan Walker
BN: Yordano Ventura
BN: Jim Henderson
DL: Aroldis Chapman

Post subject: Re: Being the LM is crap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Could be a penalty that rolls forward to next year when you guys do it all over again, i.e. those guys enter the draft with 1 less buck. If you want to do it this season, I think the FAAB penalty makes sense.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

Post subject: Re: Being the LM is crap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:08 pm 

Alternatively, "reward" the owners that were that stayed under the $200, with an additional $5 FAAB money. The percentage difference would be minute (100 to 95 is a 5% reduction), (100 to 105 is a 4.76% increase). But you'd be rewarding some owners instead of punishing others?