It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Advice for keeper league
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 am 

This is my first keeper league. 10 team PPR on ESPN. Rules for keeper is you lose the pick two rounds earlier than your selection. Such as if I keep my 6th round pick, then I lose my fourth next year, and my second if i keep him another year. I feel since this is the first year of the league and with that two round rule, I should just go with PPR rankings and after drafting my starting lineup, target sleepers and young guys who can help me in the future without hurting my draft the next year. Also, I think I should just prepare to keep the player for one year if it's a mid-round selection and two year if it's a pick 10 rounds or later. Does that sound like a solid strategy or should I tweak it? I'm open for any helpful suggestions.

C: Miguel Montero, Wilin Rosario (DL replacement for J.P. Arencibia)
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Ian Kinsler
3B: Kevin Youkilis
SS: Jimmy Rollins
CI: Eric Hosmer
MI: Alexei Ramirez
OF: Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, Michael Morse, David Murphy (DL replacement for Jose Bautista), Corey Hart
Util: Ian Desmond
SP: Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee, Adam Wainwright, James Shields, Dan Haren, Josh Johnson, Mike Minor
RP: Joe Nathan, Fernando Rodney

Post subject: Re: Advice for keeper league
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 am 

I think the important thing to remember about a keeper league is simple: you play to win the game. There really isn't a strategy when it comes to keepers, you attack the draft and get the players you want. Sure, some guys may move up a round or two because they can be kept (think RGIII or Luck) but keeper drafts are about 10% thinking about keepers and 90% drafting for now.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 pm 

Sky wrote:
I think the important thing to remember about a keeper league is simple: you play to win the game. There really isn't a strategy when it comes to keepers, you attack the draft and get the players you want. Sure, some guys may move up a round or two because they can be kept (think RGIII or Luck) but keeper drafts are about 10% thinking about keepers and 90% drafting for now.

Thanks for the advice. I'm now pissed at the commissioner because he decided at the last minute to mover the draft time back to 8 and screw me out of my last picks because I have to work at 930.

OF: Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, Michael Morse, David Murphy (DL replacement for Jose Bautista), Corey Hart
SP: Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee, Adam Wainwright, James Shields, Dan Haren, Josh Johnson, Mike Minor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:15 pm 

scu316scu316 wrote:
Sky wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm now pissed at the commissioner because he decided at the last minute to mover the draft time back to 8 and screw me out of my last picks because I have to work at 930.

Ouch. Just make sure and set up a good pre-draft of guys you like. And send him something special to his mailbox:

http://poopsenders.com/

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am 

Finished the draft and it was weird as shit. I had the 6th overall in the ten team league and took Calvin Johnson. Peyton went 8th overall, Big Ben went in round 4 with Vick, Ryan, Eli, and Rivers still on board. Etc. Anyways, here's my squad: (PPR ESPN Keeper: If you keep the pick next season, you lose the pick two rounds earlier next draft, and the same thing the next season after that, etc.)

Starting Lineup: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 Def, 1K, 7 bench

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Matt Forte
3. Ryan Mathews (First keeper eligible round)
4. A.J. Green
5. Percy Harvin
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jermichael Finley
8. Demaryius Thomas
9. C.J. Spiller
10. Kenny Britt
11. Mark Ingram
12. Justin Blackmon
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Alex Smith (Couldn't get Dalton into the queue in time because this was the time I was in a cab heading to work.)
15. Steelers Defense
16. Garrett Hartley

What do you think of the team, Sky?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 pm 

scu316scu316 wrote:
Finished the draft and it was weird as shit. I had the 6th overall in the ten team league and took Calvin Johnson. Peyton went 8th overall, Big Ben went in round 4 with Vick, Ryan, Eli, and Rivers still on board. Etc. Anyways, here's my squad: (PPR ESPN Keeper: If you keep the pick next season, you lose the pick two rounds earlier next draft, and the same thing the next season after that, etc.)

Starting Lineup: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 Def, 1K, 7 bench

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Matt Forte
3. Ryan Mathews (First keeper eligible round)
4. A.J. Green
5. Percy Harvin
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jermichael Finley
8. Demaryius Thomas
9. C.J. Spiller
10. Kenny Britt
11. Mark Ingram
12. Justin Blackmon
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Alex Smith (Couldn't get Dalton into the queue in time because this was the time I was in a cab heading to work.)
15. Steelers Defense
16. Garrett Hartley

What do you think of the team, Sky?

That is a weird draft. Peyton in the first and Big Ben that early? That's recockulous.

Nice work. Alex Smith is a boring but solid backup. Probably don't need much more with Matt Ryan on your team. Some of your picks are more about taste/opinion. Not big on Demaryius this year nor Ingram but you have depth in all the right places. Glad you got to make at least most of your draft. Should be solid this year.