It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My ten team draft, fifth spot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:31 am 

I drafted fifth in my 15 year league last night. Prep was minimal with only one mock draft and Razzball's PPR rankings loaded into the system. That was a pain by the way. They really need to invent something that can import rankings from a spreadsheet into ESPN/Yahoo/etc. For the majority of the draft, I took the player highest on my list. Surprisingly, they were pretty much always available. Only twice did I lose a player I wanted in the pick or two before mine.

This is a ten team league with standard scoring (1 pt every 10 rush/rec, every 20 passing, 4 pt passing TD's, 6 pt other TDs, PPR). We start 1 RB, 2 WR and 1 RB/WR plus the Flex. I knew for about a week that I would be drafting fifth. I had counted on Rogers or Brady being there. To my surprise, the first picks were Rodgers, Foster, McCoy and Brady. That left me with my number one ranked guy, Ray Rice. I'll take a change in strategy for him. On the way back I got Graham (Saints fan here too) and was able to snag Stafford in the third. That is a pretty solid core IMHO. The whole team with the round and pick taken:

QB: Stafford (3.5), A. Dalton (13.5)
RB: Rice (1.5), S. Jackson (4.6), Hillis (8.6), T. Gerhart (11.5), Ryan Williams (16.6)
WR: Harvin (5.5), DeSean Jackson (6.6), Crabtree (9.5), Titus Young (10.6), M. Williams (12.6), Amendola (17.5)
TE: Graham (2.6)
Flex: J. Finely (7.5)
K: Hartley (14.6)
Def: Philly (15.5)

I had planned on taking RG III as my backup QB in the tenth, but went Titus Young hoping he'd be there on the way back. He went on the swing pick though to the guy with Rogers. It came down to Palmer or Dalton and I took Dalton a little later. That is my major mistake as Stafford isn't the healthiest guy known to the league. Hillis in the 8th might have been a stretch but I didn't miss out on anyone other than Rivers, who I doubt I would have taken. Cedric Benson went at the end of the 11th. I had forgotten about him and his new role in Green Bay. That was a big value pick IMHO.

How does it look overall? I like it with the exception of the receiver position.

10 Team ML Roto League, 6x5 with Hits added for offense

C - C. Santana,
1B - A. Gonzales, P. Goldschmidt, L. Watermelon Head Berkman
2B - J. Profar, K. Johnson, I. Kinsler*
3B - E. Longoria
SS - E. Cabrera
OF - Dread Pirate, J. Upton, Choo Choo, A. Jackson*
Util - M. Cabrera

SP - Mad Bum, Greinke, M. Latos, M. Cain, A. Cobb
RP - J. Nathan, S. Romo, E. Mujica, C. Janssen, K. Gregg,

Last edited by Pacochu on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My ten team draft, fifth spot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 am 

Nice team. My only quibble is you drafting two TEs. the Finley pick could've been spent on another WR. You have great late round WR plays but your WR3 is a bit more iffy than it needed to be. Outside of that, though, you have a solid team. Should be competitive.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 am 

The receivers I passed on for Finley were Garcon and Torrey Smith while Meachem, Boldin, Denarius Moore and Reggie Wayne were taken after my Hilis pick in the eighth round. I saw Finely as a fantastic value at that spot. We start 1 RB, 2 WR and one RB/WR plus the Flex.

C - C. Santana,
3B - E. Longoria
SS - E. Cabrera
Util - M. Cabrera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am 

Don't get me wrong, I like Finley. Just think he's overkill with Graham is all.

Sky Sperling is a contributor for Razzball Football and Razzball Baseball. He’s also a lover of fine beer, fine women and fine-toothed combs. You can follow him on twitter @Sky_Razzball and in your most sweetest of dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 pm 

I appreciate the response by the way. I didn't see myself needing two tight ends, but I felt that he would be a higher producing player than what was available at the time. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

C - C. Santana,
3B - E. Longoria
SS - E. Cabrera
Util - M. Cabrera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm 

Pacochu wrote:
I appreciate the response by the way. I didn't see myself needing two tight ends, but I felt that he would be a higher producing player than what was available at the time. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

No problem. It shouldn't hurt your team. Maybe you can look around and see if someone wouldn't mind an upgrade.