It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Neophyte Fantasy Football Player -- Need Some Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

After some years of playing fantasy baseball I finally joined up with a fantasy football league. Because I got in pretty late, I am just now scrambling to figure out strategy, etc. for the coming season (draft is Sept 2). The big thing I am trying to get a handle on is how the scoring of my new league should affect my draft strategy (12 teams, snake draft, I'm drafting tenth position). My new league is a points-per-reception league, and in fact (from what I can tell) it weighs receptions heavier than most PPR leagues: you get 5 points per reception by a RB; 1 point per reception by a WR, and 1.5 points per reception for a TE. The other scoring rules look fairly standard (again, from what I can tell), with the exception that you get 3 points per FG under 40 yds, 4 points for 40-49 yard FGs; and 5 points for FGs 50 yards and over.

So I am right that these scoring rules are more heavily weighted to receptions, especially by RBs, than typical PPR leagues? If so, any suggestions on how I should tweak the razzball rankings accordingly for my needs?

Thanks for your help.

-Rabbit

ERA, Whip, Wins, Saves, K/9

Post subject: Re: Neophyte Fantasy Football Player -- Need Some Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah, those are crazy points for RB receptions. Besides the obvious like Ray Rice having a ton of value I would think players like Sproles, Faulk, Slaton, McFadden, Taylor, etc would also be up there. Can you see the leaders from last season in that scoring? Check your player pool and see if they have 2009 stats that reflect the scoring. I know ESPN does.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 pm 

a reception is nearly as valuable as a TD. wow!

Ray Rice #1, easily. MJD, Forte, Gore, S.Jax, CJ, AD are all guys you want. With the 10th pick, i'd probably go with Gore, S.Jax, Shady, Charles, Forte, in that order, then look for another one on the way back. Then for your RB3 a few rounds later i'd look for a Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, Tim Hightower, etc.

Keep in mind, 100 yards and 2 TDs would be 22 points. 4 rec, 20 yards is 22 points. i LOVE turner this year. but he has only gotten like 6 rec/season as a starter. in most leagues, his yards and TD's will cancel out receptions. not here. reggie bush will probably outscore him. talk up the fact that he's supposed to get more receptions, and let another guy be disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:21 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

You know what can kill ya even more than a bad draft strategy? Bad graphics on the Rules section of your league website. I checked with a guy in my new league, and it turns out that it is a half point for each RB reception, not five points--because of fuzzy graphics I couldn't see the . in front of the 5. So my league rules are a much more moderate half-point per rec for RBs, 1 ppr for WRs, and 1.5 ppr for TEs. Thanks for the responses; sorry for the misinformation.

ERA, Whip, Wins, Saves, K/9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

hah, no problem. Glad you got it straightened out. That would have hurt you.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...