It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: General QB Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 am 

I get that this year the thing to do is wait on QBs. But after the top 7 (rodgers, brees, manning, brady, romo, schaub, rivers - in whatever order floats your boat) who is the best guy after that? I feel that there's too many question marks in the next pool of guys which includes cutler, ryan, kolb, flacco, favre.

Any thoughts on which of those guys is the next best option?

Also, in leagues where QB TDs are worth 6 points...does the strategy change and does it make more sense to grab one of the top 7 QBs?

I guess I just don't feel comfortable not getting one of the top 7 guys in a league where QB TDs are worth 6 points. Help me change my mind.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: General QB Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 pm 

My league has 6 point TDs, but I usually avoid going high on a QB just because of it; I let the mad rush leave me with two top end skill position players (preferably 2 RB) and I backfill. It's got me #1 and #2 over the last couple of years I've played but I was pretty aggressive on the wire for injuries regarding starting QB (Henne, Vince Young, Matt Cassel in NE were pretty big in my runs). It's risky to play it that way, but it's how I go.

I'd take Ryan or Flacco from that next crew. Favre just might up and finally retire or he might come back hurt and suck really bad. Either way, I'm not interested.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:28 am 

first of all, nut cups, your baseball team is ridiculous.

thejvp, i think you have to like cutler in 6 pt TD leagues, because the interceptions don't hurt as much as in 4 pt leagues. (unless picks are like -3 in your league).

it's significant to note how many teams in the league. if there are 16 teams, getting a top QB is more meaningful, because the difference between the 16th QB and the 3rd or 4th QB can be pretty huge. in a ten team league, the difference between the 3rd QB and the 10th QB is likely not that great (especially when compared to the difference between the RB you grabbed in the 3rd round, and the RB you would get in the 7th instead of a QB).

to me the reason that you might consider a top QB in a 6 pt league, is that if one QB has a crazy year and throws for 45 TDs, whichever team has that guy is going to be tough to beat. still, you have no idea which QB has that year (if any), so it's tough to go fishing with a first round pick. that said, you can be pretty sure the monster year is not coming from flacco or ryan, who don't really have that type of offense. so in that kind of league, especially if it's 12 teams (where you're not necessarily guaranteed to have even the 12th best QB), then you think harder not about figuring out which QB has the best shot at the big year, but about giving yourself that lottery ticket in case a team has a historic year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I'm not completely against grabbing a top QB, just not a top 3 QB. If you can feel good about say at top RB and WR in rds 1/2 then getting Rrom in 3 isn't out of the question. I usually wait on Cutler/Kolb. They are on passing teams and even on bad days can give you decent points.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...