It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Sonavabench!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hermida shit my bench too. Played J. Guillen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:36 am 

Before I went out today, I nearly put Scott in for Lind as Lind was facing a knuckleballer and I didn't know what to expect. I did not do it as "going with my gut" has burned me only about 278 times this year.

That was the last chance I had to change my lineup today.

Went to a ballgame at night, what do I see on the giant scoreboard? Scott 2 run homerun (18). What's worse, guys on rival teams I am in a tight race with for homers nearly all homered (about 7 or 8 total in one damn night). Basically I got outhomered 8 to 1. Woulda been 8 to 2 had I got with my gut this time.

A few days ago, similar situation where I didn't get to the puter to create a spot for LF only Lind, had Scott in there instead of Lind, and Lind stole a base! Prolly his only steal of the year and I got him benched by accident.

And today the team I am trailing by one in steals (also happens to be the league leader that I am chasing) got a steal from Doumit to offset a steal from my Mclouth... I quit. It's like Juan Pierre will hit a homer and David Ortiz will steal base on the final day of the season to beat me by 1 steal and 1 homer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 am 

petey13ca wrote:
It's like Juan Pierre will hit a homer and David Ortiz will steal base on the final day of the season to beat me by 1 steal and 1 homer.

Ha!

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 pm 

Another day, another reason to whine some more, smurf style. I literally was one push of the "submit" button away from putting Cust in the lineup over Lind because I liked Cust's matchup the best. If it was earlier in the year, I would have done it. After getting double-chinned Lady Luck's footprint imprinted on my smurfin' ass from so many kicks, I don't trust myself anymore so I didn't follow thru with it. When I logged on later today and saw OAK had 6 runs on the yahoo MLB front page, I just knew Cust had gone deep w/o looking at the boxscore. You kinda develop a 6th sense for that sort of thing when it happens nearly everyday. Lind, Scott, and Cust have combined 3 homers and 1 steal in the last week. They've all happened on the bench. I have started Lind everyday in the last 10 days or so except for 2 days, and I missed out on his homer and sb on those 2 days. Smurfs just have no instincts to play fantasy ball. I should have listened to Obi Wan Smurf.

Last night I made a rare move that worked out, starting Nomar over Aviles, so of course it took one day to give it right back. Aviles homers and Nomar gets lifted after one official AB.

Meanwhile, the (now) league leader can close his eyes and randomly pick anybody off the WW and have it work. Picks up for only one gm Werth, who doesn't even start but still gets a 1 for 1 and SB. Picks up Feliz, first game he homers. Picks up Willy Harris, first game he homers. Somehow I am still staying in striking range thanks to pitching... but if just 50% of my decisions worked out, I would be leading now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:50 pm 

As always, that was a solid Smurfy rant.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:36 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Damn, Smurf.

You sound like you got a black cloud hovering over you at all times.

Don't get on the same bus as this guy people.

My advice, pick a team and ride it for awhile, ask Grey who to play and leave it at that. Slow and steady wins the race, Smurfy.

You'll catch him when he panics.

10 team Roto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 pm 

To give you an example of why I am a bitter smurf when it comes to fantasyballin':

My team went from around 30 pts back at the AS break to 1/2 pt back on the last day of the season only to have literally the worst day of the season and lose a heartbreaker.

Down the stretch, I lost some players to injury but it kept on moving up. A key one though was Hamels, which forced me to accept a trade of K Johnson and Hart for Clemens and Hamilton. Clemens lasted two starts. Hamilton lasted five games. Both got hurt. Losing Hart killed me in SBs as I lose a couple of pts there without his Sept. SBs and I gained nothing from that trade. Then my top setup man Scot Shields imploded in Sept. and I lost ground in HLDs (16 team league, counts HLDs).

Despite everything, I still had a real shot on the final day. My team was tops by a wide margin in ERA and WHIP so I picked some scrubs from a barren WW to try to pick up one pt in wins. I picked... Glavine and D-railed. I figured I'd hedge my bet for a win by starting both guys. Wrong! Glavine lasted 1/3 of an inning. D-railed couldn't last five with a 7 run lead. My other 2 scrub WW SPs did get one W, but the team I was chasing got a win from Street (after a blown save no less) so I gained nothing. The offense got like 4 hits all day and lost ground in BA. It's just that the Glavine/D-railed thing was so terrible that it is what I remember, even though the offense's choke on the final day is ultimately what cost me any chance of winning. I am a Met fan, so it was double the pain.

It wasn't just the final standing that was close, so many categories were separated by only one or two units. Unless you have lost like that, it's hard to understand why I hate Lady Luck and her double chins.

In all seriousness I am just tongue-in-cheek most of the time, but I do get angry for real for a bit when unlucky stuff happens in the fantasy ballfield since last year's disaster left a bad taste in my mouth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 pm 

I think we need a column called, "Beware the Smurf Just ___!" and just fill in your current move/s. Such as, "Beware the Smurf Just Sat Cust!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:10 pm 

Yeah at another forum I always suggest to everyone to do the exact opposite of what I do. I benched Mclouth 4 times in May and June, he homered in every game, 5 hrs total. This one is not really Lady Luck's fault, it's my own for sitting him during mini slumps, but it just shows that doing the opposite of what I do is always right. I guess I should be called Constanza Smurf. Since that stretch Nate has gone 2 for 10 in his next 3 games on the bench so maybe that run of diarrhea luck with Nate is over.

But what's amazing is that despite all of the missed production, some my fault, some double chinned Lady Luck's fault, my team is still just now 0.5 pts back thanks to fantastic pitchin'. Would actually be in first now had I started Aviles and Cust last night.

I won my league in 2003 by 2 pts, and since then my luck in fantasy ball has been progressively worse every year. I must've either used up all my good luck then or I sold my soul to Satan's fantasy ball lieutenant without knowing.

I should write a daily column called the "Why Me, Why Me Rant" with Papa Smurf. I can recap all the crap that happened to my team the previous day, and also dish dirt on the other smurfs, like how Vanity Smurf is gay, and how Handy Smurf is more "handy" than you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 pm 

papasmurf wrote:
I should write a daily column called the "Why Me, Why Me Rant" with Papa Smurf. I can recap all the crap that happened to my team the previous day, and also dish dirt on the other smurfs, like how Vanity Smurf is gay, and how Handy Smurf is more "handy" than you know.

Ha!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next