It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Couch Managers mock auctions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:02 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

So I checked out couchmanagers.com on the suggestion of a razzballer on these forums and it seems like a pretty good site, but it seems like all of their mock auctions are password-protected, that is, you can't just go to the site and sign up for an upcoming auction, unlike with the mock drafts, where anyone can sign up till their full. Anyone here have familiarity with this site? Am I just being a bonehead with the mock auctions and missing how to sign up and get the passwords? I'd really like to start doing some mock auctions, but it looks like the site I have used in teh past, fantasyauctioneer.com, has basically shut down.

ERA, Whip, Wins, Saves, K/9

Post subject: Re: Couch Managers mock auctions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:23 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

1. Currently under Custom Mock Drafts you will see a 12-teamer with 4 spots left. Open to anyone. When it fills it will start, so you have to watch for that. That has an up-to eight hours to pick for one turn, so may not be ideal.
2. Once or twice a week a Razzballer will initiate one and post the details on Razzball. Tuesday nights have been a frequent time. You can see these under Custom Mock Drafts, 2 minutes for a selection, and may/may not require password.
3. The Fast Live Mock Drafts you can get in by the hour. Seldom will you find more than a few players. However, it is an excellent way to get familiar with the nuances of how the site works and the feel/problems associated with 90 second allowance for drafts. With the computers filling in picks rapidly, it can be harrowing the first couple of times.

Couchmanagers has the advantage of while you are drafting you can edit in which position you want players. Disadvantage: they don't provide after draft projections for how your team rates in roto.

Mock Draft Central just dumps your player to their "primary position." Sometimes to the bench even though you want him starting. And, you can't change it. Also, even though they provide projections, they suck. I would never use that tool to evaluate my picks nor decide to shift selections based on it.

Get in the water! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Am I just being a bonehead with the mock auctions and missing how to sign up and get the passwords?

Don't think so. I just had a look and can't seen anywhere to join an 'open-to-all" auction. I think they have recently had some technical issues, so maybe that capability hasn't come back yet.

I guess you could set up your own and make it open to the public? You could also try getting in touch with them - couchmanagers@gmail.com to find out what the story is. They are pretty responsive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Not seeing the problem. As long as you have registered with them, you should be able to join. (It doesn't cost anything.) Part of the registration is signing up with a password that you provide. When you click on "3 spots remaining" it takes you to the sign up page. You click Join. It prompts for your password. Bingo.

I just joined the mock with nothing required other than my original password (again, the one you provide when you sign up).

Some mocks are "password protected" and they require the password given by the mock manager.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Think hasenmensch is referring to auction mocks, not straight snake drafts. I can't see any there that aren't password protected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:35 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OK. Sorry, didn't catch the nuance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:42 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Steve and Fred,
Thanks for the input--Steve is right that I am looking at auctions, not snake drafts; I have done a couple snake drafts but they are so different from an auction that they're not overly helpful for my prep for my real auction. I think it may be a software issue on the site, because I tried to set up my own public auction today and it didn't seem to let me do so--I went through their process of supposedly setting it up, but it just took me to an empty auction page with no teams listed (not even mine), and my auctions were not listed on the "Join a Draft" page on the site (they only had private auctions listed). So maybe they're just having issues with public issues. Steve, I think you're right; I should email the site managers directly to see what's up.

ERA, Whip, Wins, Saves, K/9