It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: ESPN Analcysts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:53 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Just got an e-mail from Berry where he "hates" Ryan Howard for his drag on average...

Quote:
So yeah, in an ESPN standard 5x5 mixed league, I hate Ryan Howard as a first-round pick. Or even a high second-rounder. And that's important to know as I start tossing out my Love/Hate selections for 2009.

Instead, he's pumping the tires on...

Quote:
But in a vacuum, with all the 20-10 guys out there, it's strategically sound to avoid high-power, low-average run producers with no speed in favor of well-rounded, 20-10 types, in the early rounds or even later rounds (Jayson Werth anyone?).

What did I learn: Draft Howard late in the first or early in the second and laugh when he hits .265 with 50 bombs and 150 RBI. Let someone else reach for Werth in the 10th. I feel sometimes it's more valuable to understand your opponents' information...

Post subject: Re: ESPN Analcysts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:13 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
But in a vacuum, with all the 20-10 guys out there, it's strategically sound to avoid high-power, low-average run producers with no speed in favor of well-rounded, 20-10 types, in the early rounds or even later rounds (Jayson Werth anyone?).

Quote:
What did I learn: Draft Howard late in the first or early in the second and laugh when he hits .265 with 50 bombs and 150 RBI. Let someone else reach for Werth in the 10th. I feel sometimes it's more valuable to understand your opponents' information...

I tend to agree with Berry here. I'd rather have a team of guys like Rollins, Soriano, Votto, Rios, Kemp, Victorino, McLouth, Abreu, Beltre, Werth, Torii, Hart, Milledge, Dukes, Spillborgs, Alexei, Phillips, etc...

And here's where I'm coming from: What happens to your team when Howard goes down with a (insert DL item here) injury? Your team is screwed with mediocre power numbers. I'd rather have a wide range of Markaki (plural for Markakis) on my team, so that the blow is relatively soft if one of them goes down for injury or if one of them disappoints in offense. You can fill in guys like Werth if they get injured, but if Howard goes down or does worse than expected, you're pretty much at his mercy.

At worst, a team with the guys I mentioned ends up 3rd or 4th in power numbers, and then what? If you need points, you won't have to climb back from 8th place, but rather, you can add a guy like Carlos Gomez for more speed or Burrell for power without it really hurting your other categories much.

Draft balance in everything and you'll be okay when you need to fill in the pieces.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM
Bogaerts, Xander(UT) BOS

Buxton, Byron(OF) MIN
Stanton, Giancarlo(OF) MIA

Active Pitchers
Corbin, Patrick(SP) ARI
Gonzalez, Gio(SP) WAS
Latos, Mat(SP) CIN
Liriano, Francisco(SP) PIT
Minor, Mike(SP) ATL
Benoit, Joaquin(RP) DET
Mujica, Edward(RP) STL

Burnett, A.J.(SP) PIT
Samardzija, Jeff(SP) CHC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:04 pm 

i agree on a balanced approach but Runs/RBIs have to factor into the equation. I'll take no speed and a little less average if I'm getting 20+ Runs and RBIs. I've found that power/speed guys get drafted above value and you get better value with strong 2-3 category players vs. good 4-5 category players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Rudy Gamble wrote:
i agree on a balanced approach but Runs/RBIs have to factor into the equation. I'll take no speed and a little less average if I'm getting 20+ Runs and RBIs. I've found that power/speed guys get drafted above value and you get better value with strong 2-3 category players vs. good 4-5 category players.

Agreed about shooting for balance.

BUT We're not talking about taking Dunn in the second round. We're talking about the premier HR/RBI guy over the last several seasons... I'd be happy to take him in the first if I have a mid-late first round slot. You might have to balance him out with some higher average guys, but I'll worry about that once I have his 45/125 in the bank.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Excellent points, all. I didn't want to say that I won't draft Howard, I'd just prefer to build a team around Rollins. If Howard's there in a mock at 12-15, I usually jump.

Active Batters
Castro, Jason(C) HOU
Goldschmidt, Paul(1B) ARI
Carpenter, Matt(2B) STL
Longoria, Evan(3B) TB
Zobrist, Ben(,SS) TB
Profar, Jurickson(MI) TEX
Rodriguez, Alex(CI) NYY
Davis, Rajai(OF) TOR
Jones, Adam(OF) BAL
Trout, Mike(OF) LAA
Young, Eric(OF) NYM