LOGIN

Pat Burrell and Milton Bradley, the new members of the Rays and Cubs respectively, are in similar tiers as outfielders for 2009 fantasy baseball, that not-so-coveted thirdish/fourth-kinda outfielder spot.  With their signings, it solidifies in everyone’s mind where Milton Bradley will throw a tantrum next year and where Burrell will be seen going from home to 1st in 12.7 seconds.  Is that a Clydesdale, Pa? Anyway, let’s look at what these free agent signings mean for 2009 fantasy baseball:

Pat Burrell – The Rays signed Pat Burrell, which should rid the Tampa landscape of the Gomes/Floyd blahtoon at DH.  That’s right, Burrell’s fielding has him on the fast track for DH duties.  So sad.  I would’ve liked to see Upton and Crawford play the outfield and Burrell play a ten foot swatch of outfield grass.  “Ooh, Burrell just missed snagging that one.  It was almost twelve feet away from where he was positioned.”  I imagine Crawford in LF would’ve had a better shot at some balls hit to right.  Oh, well.  As for Burrell for 2009 fantasy baseball, he’ll still have OF eligibility and then he’ll have multiple position eligibility when he gets that coveted Utility eligibility.  Sweet!  He hits 29 to 33 HRs every year and I don’t think 2009 will be any different.  I could actually see him thriving as a DH — Oy, who wants to field when you’re lousy at it? — I’d draft Burrell as a third to fourth outfielder for 2009.

Milton Bradley – The Cubs signed Milton Bradley — filling the hole in their lineup left by Fukudome’s bat and the hole in their ‘likely DL candidate’ position vacated by Kerry Wood.  Milton Bradley is known to somewhat feud with his managers, but Pinella is a much mellower presence than the irascible Bud “Kneebreaker” Black.  They don’t call him Sweet Lou for nothing.  I think it’s fair to say in 2008, Milton Bradley had a career year, i.e., he put it all together.  Slugging, health, peaceful resolutions to disagreements (though he did try to bash in a Royals announcer’s face — Milton Bradley ain’t your dummy, dummy!) and he played in a ballpark conducive to a career year.  In this career year, he still only hit 22 HRs and just under 80 Runs and 80 RBIs.  For the amount of Tagamet you need to drink to have him on your team, is that really worth it?  Take two and pass.