It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Favre
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Interested to know what you think of the whole Brett Favre situation. While I love baseball and the NFL, living where I do, I don't exactly get immersed in American sporting culture, attitudes etc.

First off - I don't like it when guys retire (especially in the way Favre did with all the emotion at the press conference etc) and then change their minds and come back.

That said, it did look as though he did it the right way - a great and long career with (essentially) one team and seeing him in the press conference he seemd genuinely committed to giving it all away and it was kind of cool to see all that emotion from a 'grizzled veteran.'

Are the Packers being assholes with their attitude or is Favre being too precious about what he wants to do? I can't believe he'd be happy playing with another team.

Post subject: Re: Favre
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:43 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Frankly, this situation pisses me off.

The Packers were all ready to move on without him, had to draft knowing they wouldn't have Favre. Let the Aaron Rogers era begin.

He's tarnishing his legacy in my mind, arguably top 5 QB of all time, act like it.

Shoulda done it like Elway, win the Super Bowl a second time and call it quits, for good. Instead he throws a Rex Grossman duck and loses the NFC Championship to Eli who goes on to become the worst starting QB to win the Super Bowl.

Elway, #1
Favre, maybe 6.

10 team Roto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

It's an old-fashioned idea (could even be obsolete now) that no one individual is bigger than any organisation, and you could argue that over time this has been more the case with the Packers than any other professional franchise in America.

It's kind of like he was expecting the big welcome back and when the Packers indicated they were moving on (which they are perfectly entitled to do) he got pissed with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:19 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Yeah the Packers kind of have a history there.

Curious, how would you rank QBs?

I know we can't compare different eras, Bart Starr's stats don't compare to Peyton Mannings but he led his team to 5 championships, including the first 2 Super Bowls.

So here's how I rank them.

1. Elway (did more with less than any top QB, Shannon Sharpe is the only HOF player he ever threw to)

2. Montana (4 Super Bowl wins, MVP in 2, birth of the west coast offense)

3. Starr

4. Unitas

5. Favre (gotta go with the all time wins and TDs for now, moves down the list when Peyton retires, and maybe Brady, although that could be tainted)

10 team Roto