It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: All-Time Fantasy Draft Logistics
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:03 pm 

Somebody brought up having a roto-draft of all-time greats, and it was decided it would be a great offseason activity. But of course, I wasn't spending enough time on fantasy baseball, so I had to start studying the stats.

I did a mock draft where I picked for all 12 teams, but I am wondering what the best rules would be:

Position eligibility: The position played in the season drafted or the position from the previous season that they would normally be eligible for, or both?

IP Limit: Would you need one? I didn't in my mock, and all but 1 team were over 2000 innings.

Rosters: I went with 12 hitters (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, 5 OF) and 10 pitchers (6 SP/4 RP). Since I was picking for all teams, I figured I should set the # of SP and RP, but would that be necessary in a real draft?

The draft went smoothly. Most of the managers were cool, but there were a couple of jerks. Anyways, here are the stats I ended up with, and I probably missed some great seasons.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best settings for a draft of this type?

Post subject: Re: All-Time Fantasy Draft Logistics
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:36 pm 

Wow... those are some "all-time" numbers right there. Interesting that the winner was able to carry a 1 in a category, as I think that's pretty hard to do... yet I'm currently carrying a 1 (also in W) and I've been in 1st with others.

Anyway, I think it's best to just use the position(s) they played during the season you're choosing, and go with either an IP or GS limit for SP (I prefer 180-200 IP), so anything over that for SPs wouldn't count. Also, I agree there wouldn't be a need to force any pitching setup on anyone (just 9 P slots would be fine).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:09 pm 

Thanks for the input. I think it is probably easier to win with a 1 in a category when you absolutely know the stats you're getting in the other categories.

The only reason you might want to assign SP and RP slots rather than setting limits is it would probably be a hassle to calculate what the numbers would be for someone who drafted all starters for a total of 270 starts.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:20 pm 

True... a game log may not be easy to come by for all SPs.