It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 am 

Gary Shteyngart. Superb.

Post subject: Re: Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 am 

I'm reading A short History of Nearly Everything. It's great.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:10 pm 

Check this guy out if you haven't read him. Funny book, good book. Sometimes hard to find that in one book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm 

Definitely will, thanks for the recommendation.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OaktownSteve wrote:
Gary Shteyngart. Superb.

You liked this, Steve? I was less impressed.

The set-up was really good, the description of future technology being spot-on. But the main character was such a goof. I had a hard time relating to him.

And the ending... I don't want to provide a bunch of spoilers, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not that I need a rah-rah hero ending all the time, but man, this book was kind of a drag and at the end nobody had learned a goddamned thing. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 pm 

Joe C. just saw your post here. I don't disagree with you. Not a page turner. I have to confess, I really don't care about plot any more. Or character for that matter. Maybe that's overstating it. Probably I'm mostly looking for a voice, a tone and a certain kind of precision. Another example of this but in a very different context is Denis Johnson's "Tree of Smoke".

In Super Sad I just saw a lot of imagination in creating the satire. Calling the stores "A$$ Luxury" and "Juicy Pu$$y" was classic. And having everybody work either in credit or retail. Or having people say "you're so media." The Homeland Security Otter, though a big red herring in the plot, made me laugh every time. Just a bunch of stuff like that and tapping into this fascination and fear we have with the idea of America in decline, dystopia and so on.