All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: (Short) Review of Watchmen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:12 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Watchmen was...

strange.

There were parts where it starts clicking and I would think, oh, so this is when it gets good. And then the plot would just fall into an abyss. I'm not really sure what to think.

Major WTF was the over the top male nudity. Blue dude didn't have pants for half the movie.

And the sex scene...everyone in the theater just laughed. Maybe it was the awkward placement in the storyline, maybe it was the 5 second close-up of the guy's ass, but I'm pretty sure it didn't achieve what the writer was planning.

Hot damn was it a long movie -- almost 3 hours.

I really don't know what to make of this movie...the fights were quite good, but all the preachy and political crap in between nullified any goodwill I had of seeing a dude's arm snapped into 4 pieces.

Definitely wait to rent or watch on tv. It's worth seeing for the few action sequences and some great visuals, but don't spend 10 bucks on it.

Post subject: Re: (Short) Review of Watchmen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:33 am 

Hmm... Didn't even know this was out yet, I was going to see Eleven Minutes this weekend. The painful, yet exhilarating documentary about Jay, Project Runway's first winner.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: (Short) Review of Watchmen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:56 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

And now a dissenting opinion from someone you don't know.

Quote:
I disagree. Spend your cash on it.

It was incredible at parts, but...

Too long. Towards the end I started to get a bit bored.

The music was horrendous. The use of source music was terrible. All Along The Watchtower.... Really? "Two riders were approaching..." as we see two guys walking in the snow up to the base... REALLY? I am rolling my eyes as hard as I can.

Hallelujah by Cohen? PLEASE. You couldn't at least use the Buckley cover? I know its the original, but it made that love scene laughable. A gospel choir coming in while they are having sex? Its just stupid. I blame the director.

And the original music sounded like a horrible 80s cop movie. I felt like I was watching an Edgar Wright film making fun of such cliche music. That crappy delayed guitar drove me nuts.

But...

The non-linear story is done in a really interesting way.
Shot well, looks beautiful.
Its an incredible story, written very well (even if parts of the dialogue do not successfully translate to film. Comes off a bit cheesy.)
There are some awesome action scenes. (and extremely violent)
Speaking of violent...Rorschach is sooo hardcore awesome. Worth the price of the ticket alone.
Ending is better than a giant squid attacking NYC. (which is how the Graphic Novel ends)
Silk Spectre II is so freaking hot. I mean...dang.

I agree that the political stuff doesn't work so well.

Really this is two separate films.
The interesting film is the one about the characters and them having to deal with their past. (because they are being targeted).
And the other much less interesting film is the more epic political/nuclear war/nixon stuff.

The stuff that it gets right. It Really gets right and its awesome.

The stuff it doenst get right isnt terrible (except the music), its just is so noticeable because so much of the film works really well.

That's my two cents.