It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Yankee Stadium
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

The 12-hour tribute to Yankee Stadium was unavoidable, yesterday. I've always been on the cynical side of things regarding the Yankees' brand of tradition and history. And in the lengthy lead-up to last night's game, someone asked me if I thought the long-term PR/branding value of the event possibly outweighed the expense of the new stadium.

While I thought that was kind of funny, the pomp and circumstance did remind me of a scene from Don DeLillo's "White Noise". I found the excerpt online:

Quote:
Several days later Murray asked me about a tourist attraction known as the most photographed barn in America. We drove 22 miles into the country around Farmington. There were meadows and apple orchards. White fences trailed through the rolling fields. Soon the signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. We counted five signs before we reached the site. There were 40 cars and a tour bus in the makeshift lot. We walked along a cowpath to the slightly elevated spot set aside for viewing and photographing. All the people had cameras; some had tripods, telephoto lenses, filter kits. A man in a booth sold postcards and slides -- pictures of the barn taken from the elevated spot. We stood near a grove of trees and watched the photographers. Murray maintained a prolonged silence, occasionally scrawling some notes in a little book.

"No one sees the barn," he said finally.

A long silence followed.

"Once you've seen the signs about the barn, it becomes impossible to see the barn."

He fell silent once more. People with cameras left the elevated site, replaced by others.

We're not here to capture an image, we're here to maintain one. Every photograph reinforces the aura. Can you feel it, Jack? An accumulation of nameless energies."

There was an extended silence. The man in the booth sold postcards and slides.

"Being here is a kind of spiritual surrender. We see only what the others see. The thousands who were here in the past, those who will come in the future. We've agreed to be part of a collective perception. It literally colors our vision. A religious experience in a way, like all tourism."

Another silence ensued.

"They are taking pictures of taking pictures," he said.

He did not speak for a while. We listened to the incessant clicking of shutter release buttons, the rustling crank of levers that advanced the film.

"What was the barn like before it was photographed?" he said. "What did it look like, how was it different from the other barns, how was it similar to other barns?"

Post subject: Re: Yankee Stadium
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 am 

That's a great passage. Perhaps it's because I live in LA but it really resonates with me. Every movie/TV show/celebrity pray that this phenomenon happens to them. They get separated from reality and you want to see them just because it's them, no matter what they are.

How's the rest of the book? Worth reading?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

It's a great read - I recommend it.

And, yeah, I could easily see how the passage would relate to LA's renowned idol-creation.

In baseball, it's fascinating to watch everyone - commentators, the commissioner's office, and opposing teams and players - stand in line to take their own pictures with the most photographed barn in America. I hate to engage in hypotheticals, but would there be this much kowtowing if there wasn't revenue sharing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 am 

peter wrote:
I hate to engage in hypotheticals, but would there be this much kowtowing if there wasn't revenue sharing?

You really think revenue sharing is actively on people's minds like that?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Grey wrote:
You really think revenue sharing is actively on people's minds like that?

Nah, I don't. But MLB, at large, makes a ton of money via the Yankee brand (same could be said for the Red Sox). And I would be surprised if the commissioner's office and ownership didn't dictate a lot of what's done/isn't done in the media. My only point here is that the Big Heads set up the stage for this kind of institutionalized hero worship. The commentators don't need talking points. They love to talk about the good ol' days. The whole thing just seemed a little vacuous, that's all. In some ways it reminded me of the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:42 pm 

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant the players on the field grabbing dirt from mound. As if they were actively thinking about revenue sharing, but I get what you're saying now.

I think it's more a self-fulfilling cycle of money. New York has the most money to spend so networks cater to them and because they cater to them New Yorkers have a reason to watch and because they have a reason to watch the networks make the most money off of them so they cater to them. (<--Potentially very confusing.)