It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Buy a GIO?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm 

Do you think Gio Gonzalez is worth a flyer in a 10 team mixed h2h league? I have a spot for another SP and other choices would be Gurthrie, Bailey, types, or waiting for next week's waiver offerings. Note that we have our playoffs fairly early in the season (starting in 2 weeks, after week 18, and going 2 rounds of 2 weeks each) so he'd really have to b up and contributing in August to help. It seems like a reach but i am seduced by the upside and Ks so need a reality check.

Also, i fear if he is called up next week, he'll go for much more at our faab auction (i have him now at $1)

thanks

Post subject: Re: Buy a GIO?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm 

ragsandpags wrote:
Do you think Gio Gonzalez is worth a flyer in a 10 team mixed h2h league? I have a spot for another SP and other choices would be Guthrie, Bailey, types, or waiting for next week's waiver offerings. Note that we have our playoffs fairly early in the season (starting in 2 weeks, after week 18, and going 2 rounds of 2 weeks each) so he'd really have to b up and contributing in August to help. It seems like a reach but i am seduced by the upside and Ks so need a reality check.

Also, i fear if he is called up next week, he'll go for much more at our faab auction (i have him now at $1)

thanks

I'm beginning to think he might not get called up until September since he wasn't called up after the trade.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:55 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Grey wrote:
I'm beginning to think he might not get called up until September since he wasn't called up after the trade.

Though I'm a little disappointed, that's exactly what's going to happen. I know this because, a day after I grabbed him in one league, the manager I use as a "Negative Indicator" in another league picked him up. The Negative Indicator is where hot streaks go to die, playing time gets lost, and call-ups are brief or nonexistent. Without fail. He's kind of like my own personal Karabell, I guess. I try to do the opposite of whatever forward-thinking of the week is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:44 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

fyi - from Yahoo:
Quote:
Jul 23 LHP Gio Gonzalez, waiting in the wings at Triple-A Sacramento, has been sensational his last four starts, allowing three runs total, and the A's might be eyeing calling him up on the next homestand, easing him in a little with a start against Kansas City.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:26 pm 

Thanks, Peter. Great heads up.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:26 am 

So a start early next week, eh? I'm back on the wagon. Picked him up just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Oakland has demoted Dana Eveland. That leaves them with a TBD for Thursday's start @ Toronto. To fill the roster spot, the A's recalled Dan Meyer. It's possible that he makes the start on Thursday. But if he appears in relief again before then (he did on Sunday), the start would likely go to someone else. It's worth noting that Gio Gonzalez would be eligible to pitch that game on normal rest. Gio struck out 9 in 8 innings (giving up 2 hits) in his last AAA start.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:57 pm 

Hmm... That's interesting, thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:54 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

I haven't heard anything about a promotion for Gio, but Meyer pitched 4 innings of relief tonight. I would expect this means he's not pitching on Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 pm 

***Gio just got the call.

Per San Francisco Chronicle