It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spot starters, wisdom or folly?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 am 

In a deep league (maybe 14 teams and more), since there isn't a lot of talent on the WW, is it smart to pick hitters with (on paper) good matchups off the WW for spot starts here and there when your regular starters are scheduled to have a day off or are slumping?

I have really hurt my team badly with spot starters, who have hit around .200 at best according to my team log. The main culprits are Werth (5 for 31), Branyan (4 for 28), and M Izturis (0 for 15).

Is it over-managing to do what I have done? Is it better to forget about spot starting hitters?

Post subject: Re: Spot starters, wisdom or folly?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am 

In a vacuum it can be fine, but it depends who you are benching to get these guys time. Also, you're better off picking up a hot hand, then starting him for a week or two. If you drop guys every day, you're liable to miss all of their good and get all of their bad.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:44 am 

for your sanity, you're better off NOT doing that. it'll seem like whoever you don't play hits a dinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:18 pm 

I was tempted to start some COL righty hitters against Andrew Miller today, but I am gonna stick with Thome and Pierzynski even though Duch has been amazing. Duch has a 22% LD rate and yet the BABIP is incredibly low, WSox been rocking so I am hoping for some correction tonight.

Friggin Branyan even steals a base the first game off my roster. Makes me wanna smurfin' smurf some smurfs. Doesn't help that I have Weeks and the 2nd place team chasing me has Hardy. I am just hoping for a 2nd half comeback at this point even though I am still leading (barely) for the time being.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:00 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I spot benched Bruce and Dunn the other night against a tough lefty (CC?) and forgot to put them back in last night against Kent Tekulve or whomever was throwing for the Pirates last night. Bruce and Dunn hit 3 HR's. Feck. Still a Sonofabench when its inadvertant or just bad managing.

CI-Morneau, Wright, Votto
OF- Kemp, BJ Upton, G. Jones, A. Jones, N. Cruz, Fowler
MI-A. Ramirez, Stewart, Asdrubal
U-Ortiz or Berkman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 pm 

Second straight day I make the wrong lineup decision but get bailed out by luck. Beltran sits so I was able to put Baker in the lineup in the OF. 1st AB 2 run jack!

I originally intended to start Baker over Weeks at 2b, but then since Webb hasn't been great lately and he's easy to run against, I figure I could get a steal out of Weeks and benched Baker earlier today. Weeks goes 0 for 5...

So today is a rare instance where a spot start paid off, albeit by dumb luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:42 pm 

papasmurf wrote:
I was tempted to start some COL righty hitters against Andrew Miller today, but I am gonna stick with Thome and Pierzynski even though Duch has been amazing. Duch has a 22% LD rate and yet the BABIP is incredibly low, WSox been rocking so I am hoping for some correction tonight.

Friggin Branyan even steals a base the first game off my roster. Makes me wanna smurfin' smurf some smurfs. Doesn't help that I have Weeks and the 2nd place team chasing me has Hardy. I am just hoping for a 2nd half comeback at this point even though I am still leading (barely) for the time being.

well baker homered... were you going to start him?

i was in need at SS this week and my spot starting combos have gone 0/12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:24 pm 

Oh man, I have Cust on the bench tonight.

It was either Weeks at 2b or Cust in the OF, with Baker taking the other spot.

Both Weeks and Cust have been slumping, but since Buehrle > Gorzlanny by a wide margin I went with Weeks. Wrong again.

If Weeks has a big game tomorrow on my bench, I will send him some smurf poo in a paper bag. Express Mail!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:18 am 

papasmurf wrote:
If Weeks has a big game tomorrow on my bench, I will send him some smurf poo in a paper bag. Express Mail!

Ha!

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:42 pm 

I couldn't help myself again, messing with my lineup. Regular C and DH were off, so I picked up G Andersen vs. some TEX ham-and-egger and C Coste vs. Pedro for spot starts since I felt chances were good for lots of offense. LAA scores 9. PHI scores 9. My wonderful duo? 0 for 8.

I must have single handedly cost my team at least 4 pts in BA this year with these moronic spot starts. Yet I never learn.